Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Here is my "gun rack"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...n_rack-013.jpg

All pretty much built by hand
Those are great Les...super clean!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Here is my "gun rack"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...n_rack-013.jpg

All pretty much built by hand
Very nice. I especially like the baguette peel.
Stainless or aluminum? I can't really tell from the picture

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Master Builder

Nice Les, i saw you used a pooper scooper. Lol mind sharing how you mounted that onto a longer pipe?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I made the tools from .062 aluminum. As far as extending the handles , I used emt pipe. The rake was easy, just a matter of replacing the original and drilling a hole for the screw. For the shovel I had to notch the end so it could bend 90 degrees and then weld it together. To be honest I do not use the shovel. I built the ash / coal catcher and just rake everything into that.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Master Builder

Well my Maverick laser thermometer, high heat oven thermometer and oven brass brush arrived today, im waiting on the pizza peel to arrive separately. Ill have to make some tool also.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Now, can you tell me where you got that ash hook on the left in the first picture? Love that!
Made it from flat rectangle of stainless steel and gradually bent it across a pipe with a hammer - was a lot easier than I thought to get a nice bend. Then it was welded to the rod and sleeve that goes over the wooden handle.
I can give you the dimensions if you want.

I would recommend the stainless steel rod as a transition to the wooden handle as you can see in most of the tools. I saw it on some tools for sale and thought it was a good idea. It is surprising hot it gets and it will save the handle potentially getting scotched or burnt after a while.

The ash hook does work very well getting the ask from all around the pompeii oven. If you were doing less tools, I think it would be optional - while it works great, the hook and flat ash rake are used more often.

Brett
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Master Builder

Ya i would love to have something like that. Ive been thinking how i can make one using materials i have at home.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Master Builder

I go my pizza peel delivered yesterday, i open it up and the handle is broken... Grrr
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Master Builder

Ive been slowly getting my tools together, using things i already have like a fireplace shovel, ash and a hoe, ive got my brushes and peels. Im working on making a ash hook. Ill try to post some pictures when i get a chance. In the meantime does anyone else want to share??
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Peasant

Bought this set in Italy for 25 euro, use only the brush, round peel and hook.

Have other self made items, will get some photos of these up once it stops raining here.

The small round peel is great, I use my handmade wood peel to lift pizzas off the prep area and put into oven, all other handlings are done with the small round peel. You can easily move multiple pizzas and turn them inside the oven. Very light and handy getting in and out of oven.

If anyone has never used one i would suggest this is the next thing you get/make.

*added peel photo, its very crude made it the first night we baked because we had nothing else, been a keeper ever since, made from 3mm plywood and an old broom handle!
Attached Thumbnails
Official - Show off your tools.-tools.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-peel1.jpg  

Last edited by plootsnot; 05-11-2013 at 03:26 AM.