Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: OctoForno

I am VERY Jealous of your skill and technique, which my oven lacks immensely. I do wonder if the gorgeous transition will have the same structural values as a standard arch with dome bricks being placed on top of instead of dome bricks being set next to the arch bricks. It seems this maybe creating a thrust force perpendicular to this joint, which is perpendicular to the arch. I have some mechanical design background but as far as arches go, I have learned all I know from this oven build. So I maybe way off in left field, or it simply isn't a factor since the loads will be handled by the arch and dome anyways.
Again I AM Jealous!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
It seems this maybe creating a thrust force perpendicular to this joint
John,

Thanks for the compliments. I think you're shortchanging yourself tho. Your build is very clean, competently constructed and I would have no problem with your oven if it was sitting in my backyard.

I too considered the side-thrust forces involved with modifying the dome-to-arch connection angles. After looking at it fourteen ways, I cocluded it was safe to proceed because:

1) Regardless of the connecting angles involved, the dome and arch brick mass remains the same. To me, this means any side-thrust is essentially identical in either transition approach. In reality I feel the transition is stronger because there are no 'hanging' dome bricks, the adjoining dome bricks are uniform with the rest of the dome, and this approach leaves no gaps in the interior oven surface.
2) A hemispherical arch is inherently stronger than a vertical-sided arch and this advantage carries forward to the adjoining entryway.

I'm no engineer, but I will tell you that my 'integrated' transition was fun to build and feels extremely strong and stable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

John
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
John,

I'm no engineer, but I will tell you that my 'integrated' transition was fun to build and feels extremely strong and stable. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

John
Hi John,
Great story with wonderful pics and I would stick by it too!!!!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, I finally got the dome closed up today! It felt good to mortar in the required Octoplug. I feel like the end is finally in sight, although building the enclosure will take some time too.

I know this oven is taking a really long time to complete, but this summer has had the wife and I at (fri-sat-sun) swim meets half the weekends May through August. I'm pleased to report though, that my 16yo daughter has now qualified to swim at the 2012 Olympic Trials in Omaha next June, so whenever the oven gets completed will be soon enough.
John
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-courses-12-13.jpg   OctoForno-dome-plug-outside.jpg   OctoForno-dome-plug-inside.jpg  

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 09-17-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Journeyman

Very nice John, very nice. I bet that felt fantastic to finish that dome.

Mike
Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Apprentice

Nicely done!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Well, I finally got the dome closed up today! It felt good to mortar in the required Octoplug. I feel like the end is finally in sight, although building the enclosure will take some time too.

I know this oven is taking a really long time to complete, but this summer has had the wife and I at (fri-sat-sun) swim meets half the weekends May through August. I'm pleased to report though, that my 16yo daughter has now qualified to swim at the 2012 Olympic Trials in Omaha next June, so whenever the oven gets completed will be soon enough.
John
Beautiful Job John! It is a great feeling to have closed the dome. But it must be even a GREATER Feeling seeing your daughter swim the 2012 Olympic Trials ! WOW! Now that is fantastic!
It is good to go slow and steady and enjoy life while we can!
Congrats on both jobs well done! Wishing your daughter great success and a great swim meet in Omaha!
oh btw Send some tixs for the Olympics!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

First of all, congrats to your whole family for your daughter qualifying for the Olympic trials, it’s huge!
Second, congrats on being another brick closer to your new old style oven, it’s looking great.

Sincerely

Chris
Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Apprentice

Congrats John on a beautiful work of art. It's been fun to watch how it's really supposed to be done. I know it had to be alot of work to build a dome such as yours, but the payoff is worth it I bet. It'll be a shame to put a layer of soot on those bricks, but that will mean you are closer to pizza and other fine foods.

Leigh
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]

Beautiful!