Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: OctoForno

Chris,
No, I haven't been to IMS, but it's nice to know they're there. I got my steel from Starow Steel which is about five miles from home.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John, glad to hear you got your job. But working just 90 minutes a day is tough. The weather is quite nice so set up some lights and keep going!

You're doing all the things I now wish I've done on my oven. The fire break on the hearth/floor is great and the soapstone floor is way cool. I've seen others do a small air gap with insulation on the inner arch walls where they touch the dome and I'm sure you've been thinking and planning on something too.

You're off to a great start,
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, with the new job, I've managed to complete a few weekends of work on the oven in between the rain and the kids sports, enough to report on.

I was not successful getting my soldiers to bond in last fall's 100F heat so I decided to cut the angles off and install the remaining 5" deep brick as a horizontal first course. My second course was 4.75" and the remainder are all at 4.5". The wishful thinking here was that per the Auroville Institute on Vaulted Structures, a slightly deeper pier might positively alter the line of thrust.

The next few courses went in easily and I found I could bevel each brick without a jig. I've been pretty satisfied just beveling each ascending course just using my eye. Then something interesting occurred where I had precut the entire 6th course saturday afternoon and left them to mortar in the morning. I'm not sure if gravity pulled the bricks down in one shot or if they slowly migrated into the position you see in the pic below.

John
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-img_8102.jpg   OctoForno-img_8261.jpg   OctoForno-6th-course.jpg   OctoForno-slippage.jpg  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's some more pics of construction of the inner arch, my SketchUp profile, and the dome template I used. I'm really pleased with the way the transition turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-oven-profile-rev1.jpg   OctoForno-inner-arch-template-side.jpg   OctoForno-inner-arch-brick-core.jpg   OctoForno-arch-interior-1.jpg   OctoForno-arch-spacers.jpg  

SpottedFrog likes this.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some more transition pics
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-7th-course-top.jpg   OctoForno-completed-inner-arch.jpg   OctoForno-connected-arch.jpg   OctoForno-connected-arch-interior.jpg   OctoForno-7th-course.jpg  

Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 AM

That's an extremely well thought-out and executed transition. Great!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Laborer

John, you and Doug have put on a tutorial of how it's done. If I ever do another (doubtful, unless a friend ropes me in), I'd know what standard to shoot for.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the kind words, gents. So far, this build has been nothing but a labor of love and a tribute to all those who have built before me and shared (and bared) their handiwork.
John
Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Apprentice

Wow !!! You and I started at the same time, and I rushed my oven. Your is perfection. Super job. Keep going. I can't wait to see the finished oven. I know you will love it. Congrats.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The oven is looking good and I love the look of the SStone floor!! The next ring is over the arch and you have all of the skills wired, so things are going to move fast now..

Again, Looking very very good!

Chris