Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: OctoForno

Whenever you are mixing stucco or mortar, if doing it by hand, a minimum of 5 minutes is really a minimum. It goes through stages, depending upon how you add the water.

I add about half the water that I think will do to one side and then mix that into a slurry, then begin mixing in more dry material, still keeping the mix soupy. Once there is no more free water, begin adding small increments of water, mixing the whole mass together before adding more. When it is 100% mixed, no dry particles, evenly "wet", let it rest for a few minutes, then mix it for another minute or two and it is ready to go.

Hey! That is exactly the way to hand mix dough too, who would have thought....

Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dough makes lousy stucco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not as lousy as mortar makes for pizza crust.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Dough makes lousy stucco.
If it stick a well as it sticks to my pizza peel as my walls, I say it would make a excellent stucco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Whenever you are mixing stucco or mortar, if doing it by hand, a minimum of 5 minutes is really a minimum. It goes through stages, depending upon how you add the water.

I add about half the water that I think will do to one side and then mix that into a slurry, then begin mixing in more dry material, still keeping the mix soupy. Once there is no more free water, begin adding small increments of water, mixing the whole mass together before adding more. When it is 100% mixed, no dry particles, evenly "wet", let it rest for a few minutes, then mix it for another minute or two and it is ready to go.

Hey! That is exactly the way to hand mix dough too, who would have thought....
I don't want to hi jack John's thread, so any response to this we can finish on my build thread. I mixed what I thought was a dry mix similar to what you explained in a electric mixer. I allowed it to continue to mix while tending to the stucco on the enclosure, only to return to a soupy mixture. The next batch started even dryer . Same thing ???? Again I think over mixing is my issue, the rest period I thought was sitting and my staging board. It ain't rocket science I keep telling myself, but the solution is eluding me.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the granite cladding. It should be awesome as the rest of the build, sound expensive though.

KB

Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Not as lousy as mortar makes for pizza crust.
True,true.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
...... sound expensive though.
Justified buy saving 80% through DIY.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-12-2014, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Justified buy saving 80% through DIY.
So true. I rationalize almost all of my purchases/projects using this very sound logic! And, given the inordinate amount of time I invest to get them done, convince myself I can get a better result than paying someone who does it in a hurry.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Plus the bragging rights to say I did it myself.............

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Hello All,

Glad to be back after all these months considering my company closed its CA offices (laying everyone off) and then I hit a bit of a rough patch with my health which initially landed me in the ER. Feeling much better now, but getting old is really getting old and I'm still in my fifties!

Fortunately, I can report I'm on the homestretch on my oven (and now fully-cured dome ). I have completed the entryway save for the last two leveling courses. The welding of my custom-designed flue (by a family member) got derailed but is now at a commercial fabricator who promised it to me last week and now says hopefully day after tomorrow.

I really struggled with an approach to constructing my flared entry and integrating a 13.5"(h) x 22.5"(w) inner arch with a 12.5"(h) x 26"(w) outer arch. I finally got it figured out and kicked myself for not attacking it sooner because it really wasn't that difficult a job, just time-consuming. All in all, it was a fun part of the project.

Anyway, here's some pics and a profile of my vent. I really wanted the vent architecture to be totally seamless to give the oven exhaust every opportunity to go up rather than out the front of the oven. Hence the trapezoidal shape and an outer arch that is an inch lower than the inner arch. I think it came out okay.

I'll report back when I get my flue installed and hopefully a first fire (really?) video a week later.

John
John, I have been wondering about an issue I see with some of the builds on here. Being a mason by trade, what I see that concerns me is the construction of the entries on some builds. I believe the stronger entry is the type you built, where the arch starts right at the floor. I see some where a short height side wall is built then a shallow arch connects the two short height walls. My thinking is that this could over time collapse. These brick side walls are not tied back into the dome structure itself. Just thought I would pick your brain a little. Here is another issue , have not yet figured out how to make my messages get in the forum. Thanks again for any help
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
John, I have been wondering about an issue I see with some of the builds on here. Being a mason by trade, what I see that concerns me is the construction of the entries on some builds. I believe the stronger entry is the type you built, where the arch starts right at the floor. I see some where a short height side wall is built then a shallow arch connects the two short height walls. My thinking is that this could over time collapse. These brick side walls are not tied back into the dome structure itself. Just thought I would pick your brain a little. Here is another issue , have not yet figured out how to make my messages get in the forum. Thanks again for any help
I guess I just figured that one out!!!!