Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: OctoForno

John,

How's the build going?

Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

Haven't had much time to work on the oven since I've been tied up with job searching and interviews. Should be over soon, though.

In my 'spare' time I have decided to make several major changes to my original oven plan:

1. I will be going with a 39" oven instead of 42". This is because I would like to cook in an oven fired once-a-week that should hopefully give me three days cooking heat. I am guessing that I will be inclined to fire a slightly smaller oven more often than a larger one.

2. My entryway will be a hemispherical arch to take advantage of the strength of the design, the aesthetics, and the fact that the ancient ovens had these.

3. I will go with a thermal break between my inner arch and the entryway as well as a break between my oven floor and entryway floor primarily because of data that you supplied verifying heat loss through your entryway soapstone. Also, I am in the market for some insulating firebrick to support the entire entryway.

I am just about ready to cut my oven firebrick 'subfloor' and then the soapstone. I saw a YouTube video on cutting soapstone easily with a carbide-tipped jigsaw blade, but the guy I got the SS from said he rough cuts the radius with a masonry skilsaw and grinds the edges smooth. Didn't you do it this way?

Anyway, here's some pics of the soapstone I picked up and my nearly finished patio in front of my nearly started oven.

John
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-soapstone.jpg   OctoForno-img_7104.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry to hear you're in the finding a job mode, that sucks!! As for cutting my soapstone in the entry area, I used the HF-10 to make the cuts. I clamped and supported the rough stone enough to get the cuts. Round cuts is going to be a bit tougher on you. I wonder if the soapstone folks you bough yours from have a jet machine to that can cut a 38 inch circle for you. A six pack of whatever and a $20 and you could be done with this part. The other way to do it is to get a 7" diamond blade for your circular saw and cut an octagon or better. The stone isn't that hard but because what we want is higher in serpentine than talc it's not really workable with carbide wood blades.

John I'm clearing out my self fabricated brick cutting jig, you're welcome to it if you'd like it.

Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris,

The gentleman I bought the soapstone from is a sole-proprietor cabinet-maker at heart who branched out into countertops and had scraps in his garage he was looking to sell. Truth be told, I would like to tackle this job personally. My plan is to line my slabs up on saw horses and scribe a circle, cover the circle with tape like you did, and scribe the circle again. I want to try the (stone?) carbide tipped jigsaw blades same as the process shown here:

Soapstone countertops (scroll down to video #14)

It should go smoothly, but if it doesn't work I'll go with my masonry wet-circular saw (worked beautifully making 45deg cuts for my octagon oven base blocks) and then grind the edges smooth.

Sure, I'd be honored to put your jig to work! It is easily the most advanced brick-cutting tool I have seen used here. Let me know how we can make the transfer and I'll make it up to you once I get back into the working world. I'll be happy to swing by if that's easiest.

John
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Hello All!

After what has seemed like forever, I finally have some progress to report...

After that I have to install 1500sq' of patio pavers, and then on to the oven!

John
John,

Very nice job, that is how I did my slab with the inset insulation as I was also going to use 4" block (though my oven surround is the boring square shape) but decided to switch to steel studs and cement board because I want to batter my walls.

I really like the cantilever at your hearth!

The people on this site have been a huge source of help and information, and as my build progresses, I am continiually asking for help.

Good luck! Eric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John, did you do the pavers yourself?

(It all looks great, BTW)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your oven area, it’s looking great John, really nicely executed, clean and functional. When the Granite and oven get installed you’re going to have a real show stopper of a back yard! Very Very nice!

I had imagined that the SStone that you found was going to be smaller cut-off bits. It looks like what you found was full slabs, or nearly full slabs and it looks like its mostly homogeneous rather than heavily veined, wow! What a find!.

If your jigsaw doesn’t move through the material the way you want, I had a thought about cutting your stone. If you build up the HF saw and a counter to a matching height, you can drop the saw blade into and through the stone material and get an 8 to 8.5 inch long cut in a minute or so. This would still take a while to get your circle done, but I think you might avoid the dust and grinding that the jigsaw and sander may put you through. This also avoids having to slide the stone past the HF-10 blade.

John, you're too kind with regards to my jig setup, it has potential but still needs a bit of engineering and fabricating. Let’s see if I can pull all of the parts together and we’ll find a time and place to pass the tool along. I’ll message you later about getting together.

Chris
Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

John, those are fine choices you made!

I think you've taken the time to fine tune what you want and a 39" oven and hemispherical arch is going to be perfect. Your "thermal break...entry...data" thingy is over my head but it sounds great . Seriously, wish I'd of done it. I think the more people that do it and the more pics we see of it make it sooo much easier for the next build. You seem to like a challenge and I can't wait to see how great the soapstone turns out. Like Chris said, the whole area is looking really nice,
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John you have Email.

Chris
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

John,

Great looking build so far. Definitely going to be a super nice looking patio when finished! Take your time and do it right!