Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: OctoForno

Hey Nate,
My original design had a 1" gap that I was going to fill with Insblock 19 I had leftover from insulating the floor. Then I read tscar's post saying an air gap is just as acceptable as a heatbreak so am going with it. The ceramic rope is literally the last design mod I've made to the entryway.
John
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Apprentice

Hey John,

I was feeling the need for some serious inspiration so I just had to come back and read your build thread. Once again I am amazed and in awe of your amazing oven. Just looking at your pictures gives me goose bumps. As I was going through the pictures I noticed that it appears that you went just straight vertical for your first 3 courses, put in a little shim and then started curving inward. Am I seeing that right or am I just making that up?

Thanks again for all your help.

Nate
Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Nate,

Thank you for your kind compliment! Yes, you are right - the first two courses are perfectly vertical (the bottom course as you look at it from the outside is actually the firebrick floor (underneath the soapstone).

I didn't use an indispensable tool, rather I just loosely used a template that was vertical for the first 4" or so. This is what I really liked about going this route. It allowed me to customize a dome profile that has more vertical w alls, more aggressive 'shoulder' and flatter ceiling than a true hemispherical IT-made dome. Here's a really wide-angle shot of the interior that kinda shows this.

John
Attached Thumbnails
OctoForno-fisheye-oven-reduced.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Apprentice

That's just beautiful, John... Superbly awesome job!!

We wanna see more pics!

Aceves
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Apprentice

Hey John,

I am still amazed at how much thought you put into this before hand. Truly amazing! Your approach is definitely something to consider as I plan my build. To be honest I am not sure I want to move forward with ANYTHING until I see how you do your entry arch. How long are you going to keep us all in suspense?

Thanks again,

Nate
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nate,
My sincerest apologies, but there are plausible reasons for the endless delays... really! Excuse #1: If I didn't have one kid in college (UCSD) and a second committed to USC in the fall, I'd have enough money to have my stainless entryway floor and flue fabricated and paid for the normal way. Excuse #2: I'm still waiting on my brother to fabricate these for me, for free. Excuse #3: I've been on a diet (lost 13lbs) since Jan 1 and got so hungry the other night I woke up and ate my fingers so I can't mortar anything until they grow back...
With any luck I'll get my steel in the next couple of weeks and can go cut on some bricks. Nate, you're right - I've had so much time to think about outer arch design that I think I could do it blindfolded.

Keeping my fingers crossed for pizza at Easter...
John
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Master Builder

What, fingers?? John!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, you are going to be so glad you dropped weight prior to finishing your oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
I've been on a diet (lost 13lbs) since Jan 1....Keeping my fingers crossed for pizza at Easter...
John
Pizza weight-gain should be an official hazard warning on a sticky thread somewhere between flying brick chips and cement burns on the hands

Seriously John, congratulations on the diet, and can't wait to see pizza picts in that beautiful oven.

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 02-23-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

Hey John,

I agree with Dino...nice work on the diet. I can't say that I have lost much weight since Christmas but I just bought a new treadmill 2 days ago so maybe I will be able to give a different report in a few months.

So Easter huh? That is not too far off but I think you should be able to do it. I will keep a close eye on this thread to see how you finish off this beautiful oven. (And yes I know having two kids in college, especially one at USC, is VERY expensive. Good luck with that!)

Nate
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John -
I have been thinking about laying down 3cm of soapstone like you have done here. Did you set this up so that the soapstone is removeable? I have been calling around looking for a vendor that has some scrap, and figured if I had them cut quarter circles + the landing as a 5th piece, I could remove the soapstone if say, I wanted to bake bread and thought it retained too much heat.