Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Octagonal Oven Base

Oh, I like the way this is starting out! I'm looking forward to your build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Master Builder

Nice!

dusty
Old 11-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it too. I tried to post these earlier, but not sure what happened to the post

I drew up the inside diameter of the oven dome, the outside diameter of the insulated dome, and the outside diameter of the circle that would encompass the octagonal base blocks, then started laying it up in the driveway. Those pictures are attached.

I ran out of blocks, so the wife and I went to the stone yard just to shop (they don't sell the blocks), out to lunch, to the grocery, then finally to Lowes to get some more blocks I am going to cut a few more so I can at least complete one course so I can figure out where and how I am going to put the access doors in for wood storage.

Travis
Attached Thumbnails
Octagonal Oven Base-img_0982.jpg   Octagonal Oven Base-img_0983.jpg  
Old 11-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like it.

I've had plenty of posts get eaten, but it's usually my own fault. I usually forget to hit the submit button before I hit the back arrow... doh!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Apprentice

Okay, in my psuedo build, I figured out that by cutting the way David suggested, and by alternating cut bricks, I can make the corners permanent. So given that I will have long straight joints on the side, how to I tie them together. This is what I plan to do on each course to tie those side seams together.

I need 18 more blocks, then I will have all the base. I have pretty much run out of excuses to not dig out and put a foundation it!

Travis
Attached Thumbnails
Octagonal Oven Base-img_0987.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Apprentice

I picked up the last of the block I need for the base today. I am going to cut them and finish getting the base ready. Then I will have pretty much run out of excuses that I can chalk up to planning and designing (not to mention buying tools ), and I will actually have to start digging and pouring a slab.

I will post one more photo after I finish the cuts for the base on this thread, then will start a build thread.

This is way fun
Travis
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

I finished cutting the block for the oven base. Here is how it looks sitting in the driveway. I plan on not putting any steel across the openings, but will do brick arches and concrete ala Tim, before I pour the slab.

If there is any reason why I need the steel in there, please let me know now

Travis
Attached Thumbnails
Octagonal Oven Base-img_0992.jpg  
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How do you mean not putting any steel in?

You can do without an angle iron accross the opening, but I would strongly recommend putting some serious rebar accross the openings during your hearth pour... you were going to do that though anyway, weren't you?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Apprentice

I will put steel in, bad choice of words. I will not span the wood storage openings with angle iron, but will have brick arches that will go all the way up to the slab. The slab itself will have rebar

I have not decided on splitting the storage into two area yet with a wall across the center. I will probably leave it open, since one opening will be outside the kitchen, and the other inside. I figure I can load wood into the outside opening, then pull it for use out the front side.

Travis