Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Laborer

Default Re: NJ, worlds fastest oven build - NOT!!!

There are plans to download here on the forno bravo site.

How much brick and concrete experience do I have?

I poured and 8 foot by 8 foot slab 5 inches thick for my hottub. That's about it.

As far as bricks go, this was pretty much my first brick job.

I have done a couple of bricks here and there for repairs over the years, but never a project of this scale. I also read a lot. You would be surprised how many things I do for the first time armed only with book knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Laborer

Ditto that ...books and the web go a long way when wanting to build something.

Picasa photo library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Apprentice

I knew I needed a permit for my township; I asked the same question to our Zoning guy. "How far from the house do I need to be?" (I was planning 15 feet).

Zoning Guy said, "Well, there really isn't a requirement...more is obviously better. But if you really need an answer, I would have to ask the Fire Marshal...and I know his response will be 35 feet....so if you want me to ask him, I will....."

I kept my mouth shut after that.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Laborer

Permits and zoning are kind of funny. My town did not require a permit for this oven, they also did not have a set number of feet away from any structures. But I swapped out my kitchen sink going from an ugly stainless steel double bowl sink to a nicer looking single bowl sink, and I needed a permit. Seriously?

Zoning laws are funny. No you cannot do this due to zoning laws, but you can get a variance and we will change the law just for you. So then why even have a law?

I spoke with a fire marshal from another nearby town. He said he could probably find out the exact distance I need to be away from any structure to make this safe. Safe, I asked? I have seen these put inside peoples kitchens. If it has to be a certain distance away, how is that safe?

What you are going to find with permits and zoning is that most inspectors do the same thing over and over again. When someone comes in and does something they have never seen, like a pizza oven, they instantly go into CYA mode. Which with all the litigious people in this society, CYA is often a good move. many municipalities do not have ordinances for pizza ovens, so they find the next closest thing, outdoor bbqs, or firepits. But an oven screws it up because it is not an open fire.

Sometimes the answer is to keep quiet.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Laborer

Added a copper colored Weber to my collection. Now everything matches!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronimo View Post
Added a copper colored Weber to my collection. Now everything matches!
Now you just need a copper colored cooks apron.

Chip