Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA

Great weather and temps above 50 today
I was able to cut the 10th course and get it install. Only the plug is left.
I have some ideas for getting it to fit like a glove and will post the result later on Sunday. Looking forward to Pizza
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-10th-course-done-01.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John! That plug you posted on the Photo Gallery is beautiful. It looks like it was "gupped" it up and wedged in perfectly. I like the 2 half circles. That must be nice feeling when the final dome brick is put in. And thanks for great pics, inside and out. How did you do the inside looking out photo?
Can't wait to see pizza pics.
cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino. It was a great feeling to plug the dome...in the wind, rain and snow! I had mortared 2 brick together last week for the plug. I traced the opening onto a paper plated, cut that out, and used it as a template to cut the plug. I then set my saw to the same angle as the 10th course and made the cuts on the plug. Before setting in place I used it to trace the top of the plug on to two more bricks which made the upper plug. Those pieces were cut with the same angle and then cut again so the matched the thickness of the dome, and the mortared into place.
I have put a small space heater on the inside to start the curing while I finish up the outer archway. If Im lucky I will have fire by next week and pizza by mid April.
To get the photo from the inside looking out, I set my Nikon D70 camera on small tripod and use remote timer function. Push the remote button and step out of the way.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-plug-work.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-plug-work-01.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-plug-work-02.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-plugged-01.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-pizza-view.jpg  

Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Looks awesome! Nice work.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice build JR! It does look perfectly symetrical.

Keep us posted on your fires.
G.

-
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Journeyman

Looks great! Have you decided how you are going to finish it up. Enclose the dome or leave it round.

Mark
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Apprentice

Thanks exceloven, I plan on enclosing the oven soon after I start to cure it. I have some steel studs in the waiting but have yet to decide on the finish.
Cheers,
Old 03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Apprentice

Fun Story...I left work at lunch time today to pick up a bag or refectory mortar to complete my oven. A local masonry supply shop has been great by selling brick and mortar at contractor pricing, but they also sell a line of modular WFO's. They had there show oven fired up and were making lunch pizza for customers. Free WFO pizza lunch! Though it was pre-made crust and only 500, the gesture was great. I would recommend this supply to any WFO builder in the greater Seattle area.
I hope to throw a match into my oven at the end of the weekend!
Cheers,
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Apprentice

John, I agree! Good people, though I must say the river rock exterior on the oven looks a little Fred Flinstone. I sent Jon, who rides the front desk, a cycling jersey once he admitted he was an avid Tour fan and rider.

I just need a break in the weather so I can put the damn roof on!

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA

I had a good day of work, completing the archway and the foundation for my chimney. I should be able to complete the chimney base and anchor mount tomorrow. I am exhausted!
Attached Thumbnails
New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-arch-way-done.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-archway-going-together.jpg   New Pompeii oven in Bellevue, WA-chimney-foundation.jpg