Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Pompeii challenges on space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralogan55 View Post
That doesn't leave a lot of room for a patio and a pizza oven.
Get rid of the patio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Laborer

A little late for that. I just had it installed and my options were limited there also. It looks like I just may have to go to a smaller oven. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Master Builder

I would go with the smaller oven approach too. Too large an oven in a small patio may look out of place and proportion.......almost like putting a 60" flat screen tv in a tiny living room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Laborer

If I could somehow get the stand depth below 50" (width is less of a problem) I think I could make it work. I'm still trying to figure out if there's any advantage of turning it to 45 degrees.

Most posts indicate that a 36" pompeii oven is ideal. I don't want to overthink this thing, but I don't want to be sorry I built it too small. Hey, this is America...where there's a will, there's a way.

Can someone please help me with photos and/or plans for a smaller Pompeii oven? I've gone through the threads but didn't see much help. If I go smaller is there an ideal smaller size - 28" to 32" ???

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My 36 is on a stand about 64x64. (corner install) I used up just about all that space- it comes within an inch or so of each side. I have a lot of vermcrete on each side as well as two layers of blanket, with stucco on top of it all. You could conceivably make a smaller footprint if you just use the blanket and then make an enclosure. It's kind of hard to just stucco directly over blanket.

Have you looked at the smaller ovens ready made on FB? I'd go with a Primavera 70, which is 28". That's plenty big enough, really. I could do 3 pizzas at a time in mine, but I can't actually pay attention to 3 at a time...Your shipping shouldn't be bad, since you're already in CA. If you're making a smaller oven anyway, I'd look at one of those. In the long run, with firebrick, insulation, concrete, etc., you probably won't spend that much more on one, and it will fit your space better. Your back will also thank you. And if you're into instant gratification, well, believe me, doing it yourself, while a great deal of fun, takes a while. And tools. Not all that much skill, however.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the tip, egalecki. I looked at all the ovens FB offers, but until I'm convinced that I can't build an all-brick (pompeii) oven for under $1,000 given my site limitations I'm going to keep trying. BTW, I did check on the freight for the 36" pompeii and it was as much as the oven itself !!

I do like the primavera 70; it's a nice looking oven that'll probably do the trick. But, with tax, shipping, and crating it's over $3,200. Not what I had in mind.

I looked at your photos and your short side appears to be about 40" (which would work well), but can't tell your long side. 64" is better than 70", but still more than I can live with. 64" would leave me with only 15" between the oven and the patio post (which is a bit too tight).

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Serf

I can't help you much on the space issue but I can help on the fire bricks. Pacific Clay Brick Products north of Lake Elsinore ( I 15 lake Street exit, Right on Temescal Cyn Rd.) has seconds in 4.5 x 9" fire brick for $.25 ea. Supposedly they are seconds because of color although who cares about color. I'm about halfway thorugh my dome using them and have had no problems at all. I live in Fallbrook (more specifically - Rainbow) so if you want a look see let me know.

Lee
Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Laborer

Wow, Lee, that's a big help since I'm trying to do qaulity on a budget! That sounds like the old Aberhill factory in Temescal Canyon. I know it well. I used to go the old Italian Restuarant by the hot springs out there before it burned down many moons ago.

Do they have a minimum or maximum quantity and are they available all the time? Maybe I should just call them directly. What was your experience in dealing with them?

I might jump on the Harley this weekend and ride up to Rainbow and check out your oven if it doesn't rain.

Rick
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Laborer

Lee, I called Pacific Clay and they had a little over 200 of the die-lot damaged light orange/yellow and so I bought them all at $.25/ea. sight unseen. I figured I saved over $250.

I might be short or I might be long, but since the next closest price is $1.47/ea I figured it was a good deal. If all else fails I can resell it for what I paid for it. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it !!!!!!

Rick
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey RA I'm just up the steet from you in San Clemente. Welcome! Great job on the brick. If I can help you source or anything else, let me know if or how I can help.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 02-06-2010 at 08:16 AM.