Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: A New Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATK406 View Post
Hello Loren,

My only other advice is to put at least 3” of insulation under the floor and do lots of research on this site (look for a thread called “If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change” – that will give you somemore ideas to think about). Pay particular attention to the inner arch to dome transition. Good Luck with your build.

Regards,
ATK
In regards to the insulation on the floor. I acquired some insulating firebricks from the government that were used at their base out in Dugway Utah. They can be heated up to like 3000 degrees on one side and they will be cool on the other. They are the same size as a standard firebrick. Needless to say they are sweet.

inner arch transition discussed in first reply.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Loren,

Too bad Karangi Dude is no longer with us. His was a 48 incher full hemisphere. He could of given you some insight since he not only did pizzas but also baked and roasted "alot". He even does a WFO cooking school in Aussie land. For you, do what works for you. Since I built a hemi dome can't comment on how to build a flatter dome but would wonder due to shape if you would have to reinforce the walls due to increase outward pressure.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Apprentice

I'll probably have to stick to the Hemi Dome plan unless someone can explain to me how else I would support that outward pressure on the walls from a flatter top.

My Build -

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dr_masuess View Post
I'll probably have to stick to the Hemi Dome plan unless someone can explain to me how else I would support that outward pressure on the walls from a flatter top.
A couple different ways, depending on the desired diameter of the oven.

One common way with elliptical domes, is a steel band around the top third of the soldier course.

Another way would be to use a reinforced cladding, but it adds some mass to the oven, which isn't always a bad thing, depending on your brick thickness.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another way is to use a low compressive strength insulation between the dome and the exterior finish wall, like perlcrete at 10-1.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Apprentice

Tscar and SC, Do you think the effectiveness/efficiency of the oven goes up if I lower the ceiling or is it really not a huge difference?

My Build -

Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
My $0.02 - It's an arch that only needs to support itself. (actually, it's a dome - which is way stronger than an arch...) If you were building a bridge or a cathedral, or wanted to store your bowling ball collection on top of the dome - I think you might need to worry. For the size and scale of what we build here, I have never seen a dome collapse unless the builder made mistakes in construction or with what they used for mortar.
ATK406 likes this.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Apprentice

Thanks deejay. I agree... and nothing will be stored on top... with that said I have also been thinking about the interior arch.

The width of the arch does not matter but mainly the height... right? I have been thinking about widening the opening a little bit from about 20 to a little bit larger. After seeing the thread about the old Baking oven having a huge opening I thought having a wider opening would be pretty cool.

Sorry for all the random thoughts and questions but I really appreciate the help and suggestions from all of you.

My Build -

Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Tscar and SC, Do you think the effectiveness/efficiency of the oven goes up if I lower the ceiling or is it really not a huge difference?
The advantage of a low dome is in baking Neapolitan pizza...not that it can't be done in an oven with a higher ceiling.

My advice to people with your dilemma, is to build what you are comfortable building. It's not like this has to be the one and only oven you ever build. Unless you want to have what is considered an ideal oven for Neapolitan pie, then a hemispherical dome is just fine.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
My $0.02 - It's an arch that only needs to support itself. (actually, it's a dome - which is way stronger than an arch...) If you were building a bridge or a cathedral, or wanted to store your bowling ball collection on top of the dome - I think you might need to worry. For the size and scale of what we build here, I have never seen a dome collapse unless the builder made mistakes in construction or with what they used for mortar.
In my experience, most ovens under 40" have sufficient thickness in the soldier to counteract the lateral forces of a low dome. It's best practice to reinforce a Neapolitan ( elliptical ) because the thermal cycling effects the way the load is distributed differently than a static structure.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin