Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: A New Journey

I opted to build my oven as close to the house as code would allow. I also build it by the nearest door to the kitchen. As Deejayoh mentioned, there is a lot of prep. Unless you build a true kitchen in the back 40 (and a place for all the guest to eat) there will be a lot of walking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Loren,

You have been busy. You can definately use the insulating brick under your floor brick. It will save you having to use ceramic board or vcrete. Are you going to use the latest Geneva bricks for the floor? I think DerkP did a build using these exact bricks on the floor. They may work better there. Remember these bricks are 65% Alumina and will kill off any diamond blade in short order. As we talked I would focus on tight inside joints versa what I did trying to make tight joint inside to outside. Mortar will be you friend and no one ever sees the outside of the dome after your done. Placement of the outdoor kitchen is up to you but the farther away the more distance you have to travel to get to the house, IMHO. Since you are using insulating brick under your floor, pass on the ceramic board I gave you to another local WFO builder. BTW, before you get too carried away with the HP saw, set up an external water supply for the pump. THe brick residual is really hard on them. A homer bucket and extending the tubing does the trick. Gulf came up with an automatic bucket refill system using a toilet valve. Good Luck.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-30-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

I placed my kitchen 12' from my house which has a basement kitchen whether its 12' or 20' smoke will still get in your house so make it as convenient possible of course in regards to code here is was 15' I cheated 3'. I love the location and so does everyone who comes over they all thought it was too close during the build
Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
If you know Russell, you're in good hands!
Hi Loren and welcome

Ditto so very true, having Russell close by you are very lucky.

My Build -
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas everyone!!

If it was far away... the thought would be to have a large Patio with a firepit/table and chairs, pergola etc and It would be a fully functioning outdoor kitchen. with Fridge, Sink, Grill, and storage. But I can see your point that having it far away may not be the best unless we have everything available close by. So far away may not be the funnest especially in our Utah Winters. Making the long trek out in winters wouldn't be too fun. I'll have to give it some thought and talk about it with the family.

@ Russell I have been trying to stay busy and keep this project as a priority in spite of everything else I should be doing with the yard. I don't know if I'll use those bricks for the floor. I was thinking about buying some uniform Flat bricks for the bottom floor to make sure the joints were nice and small for the most part. I'll get to that in a while though. I still have so much else to do before the floor so I haven't given it too much thought. Thanks for the hint of moving the water pump in to a different location. the Saw I bought has a separate water section for the pump to sit in which has a wall a few inches high but I'll try your suggestion too. I'm really curious to see how the different blades do. I should be able to talk more about the blades in the coming weeks/months when I start cutting some of the brick down to size

@Oasis I am lucky to have him close by just in case I need that extra insight.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Apprentice

here is a pic of my oven placement
Attached Thumbnails
A New Journey-cooking-brick-oven-006.jpg  
the_dr_masuess likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Apprentice

The blades just got here today. I hope they perform well I may cut a few today just as a test. More to come...
Attached Thumbnails
A New Journey-blades.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by the_dr_masuess; 07-31-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Apprentice

Obviously that image was too large and I won't do that again... but I can't figure out how to delete it... I deleted the attachment page but the image won't go away... suggestions?

My Build -

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Apprentice

Had to edit the code of the website within Chrome to remove the picture... Looks like it is back to normal. I'll have to adjust the image size if I want to imbed the image again.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

MK blades are great and you should get through the whole build with only one. Let the saw do the work and don't push the brick through too hard....#1 mistake I see during wet saw use.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin