Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: A New Journey

I suppose if I had to I could pick mine up....run straps under the sand with a water jet and pick that sucker up.....Transfer to new sand really slow.

It would need to be able to pick up a lot of weight. 5-8 ton?

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Apprentice

Well guys I haven't posted in a while but I think I know what the plan is. But before I tell you I should say I'm the newest father on the block. My wife gave birth to our first. I've been busy with the new baby but during my time off from work I finished my planter boxes. So Russell if you have some good seed or recommendations on tomato plants I am ready to plant!

Now to the oven. I think I will get a 10000 lb forklift and lift a side and pull it forward and do the same with the other side until it is in place. Hopefully during the move I can keep it as level as possible. I think that is really the best option. I had a friend of mine stop by who builds bridges and he said that is probably the best option. My neighbor has one of these forklifts at his work so we are going to see if we can get one over to my house. Let me know your thoughts and comments about the boxes. I think the forklift option will be the best since it is doubtful I can get a crane back there.
Attached Thumbnails
A New Journey-garden-box.jpg   A New Journey-garden-box1.jpg   A New Journey-garden-box2.jpg  
david s and Greenman like this.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Loren,

Congrats on the new bambino. Good luck on moving your base, cross your fingers and hope it goes well.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Boxes look great. Congrats on the baby.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Journeyman

My only suggestion on moving the oven is if possible, to move it all at once, rather than picking up on side at a time. If that's not doable, then do what you need to do. Also, try to have a nice, firm level new base for it. Also, congrats on the little one.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
My only suggestion on moving the oven is if possible, to move it all at once, rather than picking up on side at a time. If that's not doable, then do what you need to do. Also, try to have a nice, firm level new base for it. Also, congrats on the little one.
I would like to move it all at once but I don't think it will be possible. It weighs at a minimum 15000 lbs (the Slab is about 3 yards of concrete= 12000 lbs, the cinder block=3000+lbs and the counter slab which the oven will sit on and filled cores= 4000 lbs before water weight.) It would be difficult to lift and move all at once at close to 20000 lbs.

My Build -

Last edited by the_dr_masuess; 05-23-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dr_masuess View Post
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

I would like to move it all at once but I don't think it will be possible. It weighs at a minimum 15000 lbs (the Slab is about 3 yards of concrete= 12000 lbs, the cinder block=3000+lbs and the counter slab which the oven will sit on and filled cores= 4000 lbs before water weight.) It would be difficult to lift and move all at once at close to 20000 lbs.
I understand. I hope it all goes well for you.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Peasant

Congrats on the baby! Your planter boxes look great and I hope your move of the oven works out well.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Peasant

Your planter boxes look great. Hope your moving goes well. If you haven't started already have you thought of maybe a house moving service to jack and move your project? I don't know what that cost would be but for sure they could move your project exactly where you want it to be. Saw on Discovery Channel where a company jacked up a brick lighthouse and moved it back hundreds of feet to save it and it came out perfect.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your new one and best wishes!!

Jim
Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Apprentice

Well Yesterday I got together with a neighbor of mine who was wanting to build an oven on his own. I was scanning the classifieds 2 months back and found a WFO which used to be in a restaurant for 1500. Suggested it to him and he bought it. Yesterday was the first day he fired it up. It got upwards of about 1100 degrees but didn't hold that heat since he doesn't have it insulated or anything but the oven was in two pieces. Thought I would share its design since it is a unique oven. All of the bricks are fixed on the inside and only the floor needed to be lied down. It is a very large oven about 5'x5'. It made me jealous that my oven wasn't done yet. But then again all he had to do was bring this to his house and get it assembled with a mini-X.
Attached Thumbnails
A New Journey-20140530_185756.jpg   A New Journey-20140530_185745.jpg  

My Build -