Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks for the tip I didn't even notice, I will need o be more careful going forward. I was pretty sure that I had them lined up so not sure what happened other than perhaps I didn't let them set enough before putting in the next brick.

My kids have returned from their trip with my parents so now I have to work around my job, and the kids sleep schedule. Hoping to get it done soon though so I can start curing. Arch will be next.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

T,
It will help if you try to set one brick for the next row as you finish for the day, lunch, or any extended breaks. ([B]This tip is thanks to Tu in N'awlins[ (40" WFO in the New Orleans)/B]). That brick should be placed in the very back, dead center. From it, set your brick alternating from left to right until you meet your interior arch. If you alternate, the brick before, will be firmly set before placement of the next brick that you lay.

Also, (just a little tip from me), for cutting your brick with the "brick set": Try placing the brick to be cut on a firm surface. I usually just use a scaffold board near where it crosses a sawhorse or scaffold buck. (For some of the trickier face brick), you might want to place a thin bed of sand underneath) Mark the cut that you want, lightly, all the way around the brick, using the hammer and the set to make a slight impression all the way around the four sides of the brick. Then knock the hll out of it on one of the longest sides . With a little practice, you will be cutting brick with some precision .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

Finally got some time to work on the oven on the weekend. I got my next course started and then attempted cutting the arch bricks. I had to make a second IT that was just a rod without the wood pieces as I found it easier to mark the brick. However this didn't go well. I marked the location of the bottom of the brick as also the top of the brick and then marked a line down to make the two meet on the sides of the brick. I used my grinder to shape the brick but it didn't turn out. I'm going to attempt this again Th is week and use the IT to get the slop correctly drawn. If that fails I might just have to go with split bricks and just do it the old way.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Apprentice

For making some of the cuts that need to be smooth I bought2 diamond blades for my grinder. One is segmented and the other is continuous. Both are good for wet or dry applications and were the same price. Will one work better than the other?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
For making some of the cuts that need to be smooth I bought2 diamond blades for my grinder. One is segmented and the other is continuous. Both are good for wet or dry applications and were the same price. Will one work better than the other?
I have both and can't see any difference, but you need to wet your bricks
to reduce glass build up on the blade. It also helps to cut in to cinder block or concrete to remove build up on the blade.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Apprentice

So I got a bit of work done on the weekend, though looking at some pictures it appears that my work is a bit sloppy, with edges not meeting up correctly. I'm wondering if I should be tearing out bricks or is it more just aesthetics? If it'll functionally work I'm ok with that but if it won't Im willing to tear out bricks.

How long should I keep my arch form in place? I seem to recall reading 3 days. It's been super humid around here, I'm guessing humidity around 90-100% for several days.

New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-20140816_141302.jpg
New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-20140816_103315.jpg
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

G'day
Don't be to hard on yourself. Building with just an angle grinder is not easy, or perfect. But be assured you'll end up with dome which is one of the strongest building structures on the planet.
Regards dave
Gulf likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day
Don't be to hard on yourself. Building with just an angle grinder is not easy, or perfect. But be assured you'll end up with dome which is one of the strongest building structures on the planet.
Regards dave
Thanks Dave.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

T,
To back Dave up: It will be just fine. The pompeii, is a very forgiving structure. Look up some of the "old world" oven pics from hundreds of years ago.

Did you try scoring the bricks with the brick set (bolster) or the diamond blade before cutting them with the brick set? Either way you do it, scoring creates a fault line for the bricks to be broken (or cut) .

Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Apprentice

Ive been using the bolster to score the bricks. Seems to work well enough. Ive only been using the grinder with a masonry grinding blade and havent tried out the cutting blade yet as i havent needed it to this point.

Overall im pretty happy with it , it just doesnt look as nice as some of those guys who use nice saws. I actaully really like the look of the cut side of the brick on the outside, seems rustic to me. I might even bolster that red brick I have and put the cut side out to face the dome after I insulate, rather than a small enclosure.
Gulf likes this.