Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Curious why your dome height works out to 18 inches? For my 32 inch oven my dome height is 16 inches and per the earlier discussions on this thread it is better to have a lower dome than a higher one. I would aim for 16 max. My door height (in the center) is 10 inches high.

Neil
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Apprentice

I have no idea why the calculation on that spreadsheet came out to 18". I'd prefer it to be 16 maybe I'll have to play around with the nunbers.

Did you have to adjust the length of your IT during your build at all? I've read through your thread at least 10 times but I forget. Also what kind of thermocouple did you buy? I'm now thinking that the geek in me will want to know temperature.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

Here's the results I get from the Pompeii dome calculator(see attachments). I would like my dome to be 16" in height but in order to do that I'd have to make my IT flush with the floor? Or do I make my IT 16" long and then make it shorter as I go up?

I think once I get this going I am good to go.

New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-flush-oven-floor..jpg
New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-2inches-above-floor.jpg
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

T,
I don't think that the 18" height is going to hurt the oven's overall performance. But, I'm not real big into pizza.

I placed my IT flush with the floor by removing the dead center floor brick and replacing it with an exact sized wooden block. It also made a much more stable base for the IT than the wobbly the as plywood base I had made origionally. I just used the cardboard box from my HF saw to protect the floor .

New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-191.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Apprentice

Thanks. I really like the IT you built there. I was going to use a swivel Castor but I think that I'll use your method instead.

I noticed you used herringbone for your floor... Any difference between that and putting the brick on a 45 degree angle?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Journeyman

I didn't use the spreadsheet calculator. But yes, I did adjust my IT length as I went. I put a slot in the 'brick holder' and used a wing nut to secure it so that I could easily adjuts it from course to course

Neil
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think that it would make any difference. The angle that the peel hits is at a 45, in both syles. Mayabe, someone who has theirs placed on a 45 will weigh in. I just like the looks of the herringbone and it is really no more difficult than just placing them in on a 45 .

Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
I didn't use the spreadsheet calculator. But yes, I did adjust my IT length as I went. I put a slot in the 'brick holder' and used a wing nut to secure it so that I could easily adjuts it from course to course

Neil
Neil how did you know how much to adjust it?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I don't think that it would make any difference. The angle that the peel hits is at a 45, in both syles. Mayabe, someone who has theirs placed on a 45 will weigh in. I just like the looks of the herringbone and it is really no more difficult than just placing them in on a 45 .
I like the herringbone look as well but always thought it was tougher than the 45 degree layout. Maybe I'll have to give it a whirl. I'm building on the garage floor first and not cutting bricks until I dry fit my first course which will sit on top of my floor. That way I can try it out both ways before making any cuts.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did a 45 degree layout since my tapered bricks would not work with a herringbone pattern. I have not had any issues with my peel hitting the bricks but I did take an angle grinder after the floor was laid and knocked off any high spots which I would off done no matter what the pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada-28b-hearth-brick-cut-5_20_12.jpg