Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Need some enclosure design help....

Wiley-

I forgot to mention, I plan to use a stone tile or slate of some sort. I picture cutting them vertically and kind of skinney. I want to make it looke like a wood shake roof, but using stone instead. THought that might look good around the round part of the roof, helping to hide all of the flat spots.

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breven View Post
That's exactly what I have pictured in my head, only this one is a little nicer.
Wait... does that mean you're not going to add the flying buttresses? I'm so disappointed.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Journeyman

O.k. I resized my pics and have them attached below. Check out the notched joints. I was having a real hard time screwing in the cement board wehn two pieces meet on one 2x4. When you get a screw too close to the edge of that cement board, it tears it apart. My solution was to notch the joints. After a little bit of grinding, fiberglass joint tape & some mastic....the joints came out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some enclosure design help....-dsc01579.jpg   Need some enclosure design help....-dsc01577.jpg   Need some enclosure design help....-dsc01586.jpg   Need some enclosure design help....-dsc01587-1.jpg   Need some enclosure design help....-dsc01584-2.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breven View Post
O.k. I resized my pics and have them attached below. Check out the notched joints. I was having a real hard time screwing in the cement board wehn two pieces meet on one 2x4. When you get a screw too close to the edge of that cement board, it tears it apart. My solution was to notch the joints. After a little bit of grinding, fiberglass joint tape & some mastic....the joints came out great.
Looks great! Pretty clever with the notching. You're right about the tearing/crumbling with Durock. Wonderboard and hardibacker is a lot more stable, but I found them to be a pain to cut.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Journeyman

I considered the hardibacker...sat there at Home Depot staring at both and wondered what would work best. I used Durock on a big bathroom remodel and on the outdoor kitchen, so I had some experience with it- fiugured I better use what I know. Cutting is simple- just used my angle grinder to score it and it snaps.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job! Way better ideas than I could come up with.

For what it's worth, I used a little of both and think the Durock is easier to stucco than Hardibacker (if you are going to use any stucco).

Updated!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Journeyman

Well, I'm not planning to stucco- but my guess is that the rough texture of the durock will probably help the mortar to stick- I plan to cover the whole thing with stone veneer (the BBQ side as well). If all goes well I'll have a slate stone roof and some sort of stone tile on the counter top. Basically, stone everywhere. I saw a pic of an oven with this finish in a book at Lowe's and it looked great. I'm too cheap to buy a $30 book for one picture- so I took a picture of the picture with my phone and use that as reference!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Breven,

Just posted some pics of one of my installations, this one in Hockley Valley, Ontario. I used thinstone veneer, but instead of mortar to stick them on the cement board, I opted for Thinset Marble and Stone. It's VERY sticky, and a lot easier to handle than mortar. No dropping stones anywhere.

Jim
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Jim- I'll take your advice fo sure. Your veneers look great! I want to go for the same look- no visible mortar or grout.

Very nice.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
Breven,

Just posted some pics of one of my installations, this one in Hockley Valley, Ontario. I used thinstone veneer, but instead of mortar to stick them on the cement board, I opted for Thinset Marble and Stone. It's VERY sticky, and a lot easier to handle than mortar. No dropping stones anywhere.

Jim
Nice tip. Would that work when applying veneer to concrete block, or just on the cement board?