Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Need help with my next steps.

Wanted to see what the best type of all around product for my foot print is, type of portland ratio mix or insulation board. I would like to be able to reach higher temps and have a extended amount of cooking time. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used insulation board for my build, the vermicrete mix seems like a lot of effort when you can buy a beard for probably the same price.

For extended cooking you need more thermal mass and more top insulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You mention, "the best way to finish your next couple of pours before the dome".

How to finish? no clue what you mean here.

Next couple of pours before the dome? Unless your plan is to go off the reservation with a new design concept, I believe the Pompei plans clearly tell you that the next step (on top of the reinforced hearth slab) is to install an insulation layer of the materials several of us have mentioned.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what you propose is not something that is mentioned in the plans and your initial statement leads one to believe that you don't know what to do next.
The use of a refractory insulating cement for the insulating hearth layer has not been done by anyone that I remember. Even those who have "cast" there entire ovens out of castable refractory, typically use one of the 3 mentioned types of insulation. I think you will find any castable refractory (which is what you would need for such a great thickness) to be very costly, with insulating castable being the most expensive.

RT
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just made a vermicrete insulating slab tonight. It took just over a third of the total volume in water. If I were to place a floor straight over this it will hold that water in and create problems removing it later at the curing fires stage. Much better to take your time, let the weather dry it, if possible. In my case I will store it and weigh it in a few weeks time and work out how much water it still contains. The beauty of using insulating board is that you don't have this water removal problem. The water under the oven floor is the hardest to get rid of.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Peasant

Thanks! I think using the insulating board will work the best for me on my first oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I just made a vermicrete insulating slab tonight. It took just over a third of the total volume in water. If I were to place a floor straight over this it will hold that water in and create problems removing it later at the curing fires stage. Much better to take your time, let the weather dry it, if possible. In my case I will store it and weigh it in a few weeks time and work out how much water it still contains. The beauty of using insulating board is that you don't have this water removal problem. The water under the oven floor is the hardest to get rid of.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any portland based concrete needs lots of water to cure. After it is cured (at least 7 days) then it will start to dry. Final drying can wait until the dome is built. Drying out the oven completely takes time and patience but is not that difficult.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Peasant

For a 4" pour of 5 to 1 ratio vermiculite-portland, what type of portland is suggested??
N, S, O, or other. Also should rebar be used in this layer?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharosario View Post
For a 4" pour of 5 to 1 ratio vermiculite-portland, what type of portland is suggested??
N, S, O, or other. Also should rebar be used in this layer?
Portland cement is not graded with letters Mortars are graded with letters.

You do not want mortar you want Portland cement.

Mix by volume and not weight. I used a kitchen 1/2 gallon pitcher to make my mix. Of course it took more than 5 scoops of vermiculite an one scoop of cement.

Wet the vermiculite with about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon of water per cu ft of vermiculite then mix up a slurry of portland cement and water, thick soup like tomato soup consistency. Then pour the slurry evenly into the wet vermiculite mix with a shovel until it reaches a consistent color. after that shovel into your forms.

Do NOT!!! use a power mixer it will break down the vermiculite.

Chip
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Peasant

Has anyone used a refractory mortar called "Super Demon Air Set"? If you have, do you have any positives or negatives of this product.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You don't want to use rebar in the insulation layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharosario View Post
Has anyone used a refractory mortar called "Super Demon Air Set"? If you have, do you have any positives or negatives of this product.
Please read DMUN's comments concerning premixed wet mortars on the previous page. There are better products out there for a Pompeii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharosario
I would like to be able to reach higher temps and have a extended amount of cooking time.
What do you mean by this? The standard Pompeii oven will hit 1000F and provide usable cooking heat for nearly 3 days after firing. Do you have a goal in mind that exceeds this?

Updated!