Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Ive seen the HF IF Thermo. I was thinking about getting that one, what is the temp range?
Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Hi guys, in UK we have a swedish firm called Clas Olsson, they do a Flue Gas Thermometer which runs up to 500c. A few of us guys have them in our doors. There is a 250mm long probe off the back of the dial, that reads the internal air temp.
maybe with the use of the Interweb, you'd be able to purchase one?

Thanks, that is a nice door. I may or may not get a door thermo, well see. I guess a standing thermo should be enough? unless i bake bread, i dont want to have to keep opening the door to check the temp
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!

Thats awesome man thank you.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Apprentice

I also bought the GM550 IR thermometer that okn linked to. Works fine for me. I don't think it's super accurate, and it will sometimes get mis-calibrated or something and read everything 20-30 degrees off in one direction or the other. If I were trying to find hot spots in plumbing or electrical systems, it would be useless. But I'm not--I'm trying to tell if the surface of my oven floor is 500F or 800F, and it works a treat for that . For brick oven purposes, I don't think it pays to invest much in quality here. If it turns on and goes up to 900F or so, it will do just fine. Either the GM550 or the HF model should work well.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

I think ill get this little guy.
Amazon.com: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining