Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Eric -

You may be past this already - but I originally tried a 6" clay flue liner and ended up removing it and going with a 9x13 liner. It really draws nicely...
I haven't installed my flue pieces yet and will take the 8" diameter section which will be cut down from my 8x17 ovals up above the rafters. Then I will give it a test fire and see what happens???

I do have the option of running two full size uncut 8x17 oval sections then go to my cut transition pieces or just one 8x17,
  • Does anyone know if it is better to have a larger flue or to transition to the final diameter as soon as possible?
Thanks, Eric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Apprentice

Eric - I don't know the answer to your question . . . but -

I don't think it can hurt to go with the larger sections on the bottom. Fireplaces generally have a larger flue where it meets the firebox - but that's generally to create a smoke chamber. The key is getting a good draft going up the chimney. I would think that the lager flue at the bottom would aid in the initial draw of warm air from the oven - you'd have twice the area (8x17 v 8") to capture warm air when you light the fire.

But - whaddo I know???
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Apprentice

Turns out I only had room for one full size liner with my transition pieces.

Had to tarp the top yesterday and get ready for our brutal Northern California winter storm that is supposed to be hitting tonight.

The front facade and chimney are taking longer than I thought but I am fired up (bad pun) on finishing this thing now, and it is fun to see some of the other builds going on. No more WFO chicken, lamb or pizzas until I get up over the roof!!!

And Cheesesteak, NICE looking build!

Eric

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Apprentice

Got a little further on the WFO, hope to top out the chimney and get the insulation in and the roof on this Saturday.

I really want to start using it again but am determined not to until I finish it -- well at least finish the rock work and get the roof decked in and water tight!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Apprentice

Didn't get as far as I had hoped, but the front took quite a bit of time.

Hope to finish out the chimney next Saturday if it doesn't rain out here.

Still need to finish wiring the switches and install the lights, roof deck, pearlite insulation...

Then start the fireplace install.

Eric.

Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-wfo-front-rock-complete-1-.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-wfo-front-rock-complete-2-.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Apprentice

like the brick and stone work

Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Apprentice

Truly one of the kind WFO. Very unique job on stone/brick work.

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Apprentice

Got my lights and switches wired up yesterday, now all I have left is;
  1. Mount and wire the speakers
  2. Finish the chimney - Hopefully this Saturday
  3. Install the roof sheeting - which is already painted and ready to install
  4. Fill with the pearlite I have sitting next to it
  5. Decide on a roofing material - Corten or Galvanized
  6. Install the roofing
  7. Start eating WFO Chicken, Pork, Pizza etc..... again!
  8. Finish the counter tops of the bar next to it
  9. Modify my "Firepit" into a real "Fireplace"
  10. Add some more lighting
  11. Now I am depressed again!! Thought I was almost done!

Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-wfo-lights-1-.jpg  

Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTENow I am depressed again!! Thought I was almost done![/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I know the feeling! But your oven is looking beautiful. Good job Eric.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Apprentice

Finished the chimney, almost, I still need to cast a cap piece as I dont think my current plywood piece is the best solution. I thought I was done last Saturday, but I ended up tearing off about half the stack as I didn't like the design that I had going and changed it to this current one.

But at least I can fire up the WFO again and will see how it draws tonight.

Will put on the V-rustic roof sheeting this afternoon and then need to finalize what kind of roofing material to use.

Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-wfo-chimney-3-.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-wfo-chimney-5-.jpg