Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

Got up this morning at 4:00 am and drove 4 hours to my brother in laws place to pick up these rocks, big rocks!!!

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0156.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0158.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0167.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0172.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0176.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

The BBQ fire box is coming along

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0179.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0178.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0150.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-img_0151.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Apprentice

Default Vent Questions: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

I have my dome started, my first arch completed and have some questions regarding the vent transition.
  1. Apparently 8" diam. clay flue pipe is not available anymore (the factory out here is not making it according to my brickyard), Should I cut down a oval?
  2. I want to make my transition out of a standard fire brick laying flat. Should I cut 4" out of the middle of the arch bricks about 12 1/2" long to approximate the cross sectional area of a 8" diameter flue pipe?
  3. Will offsetting the centerline of my flue effect the draw? Would I need to increase the throat dimension of the flue transition?

Thanks for any help, EricAttachment 21092
Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-will-stand.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-arch-works.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-pizzas-view.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

The Fire pit is coming along well, First fire tonight. It is not done or insulated but why not!!

Attached Thumbnails
Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-fire-pit.jpg   Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions-fire-pit-02.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

I like big rocks!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Eric,
The big stones and rocks are really great. It's going to look so good. Regarding your questions, I have some thoughts to some:

3rd question: Offsetting the flue is no problem, but it's ALWAYS better to have a larger throat transition just to be safe.

2nd question: I'm not sure. Just can't picture it.

1st question: since you can't get the 8" round, do you mean getting a 12 or 14 oval (rounded rectangle) and cutting it diagonally in half and re-mortaring together? If so, there's at least 3-4 that I've seed do that successfully (check out mfiore Mike, he did that).

Just a heads up: your brick work and mortar look really nice. Good craftsmanship and very clean. But do try to offset those vertical brick joints on each row. Your pic (3rd one back) has the 1st brick off the left entry arch-wall lining up for 3 rows. I know it's bound to happen where you cant help it, but try to mix it up. I like your entry arch, turned out very nice.

Oh, the random stones thrown in through all the brick work is really nice. Can't wait to see it all done.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Apprentice

Wow. Great looking stone and brick work.

My projects:
Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post

...1st question: since you can't get the 8" round, do you mean getting a 12 or 14 oval (rounded rectangle) and cutting it diagonally in half and re-mortaring together? If so, there's at least 3-4 that I've seed do that successfully (check out mfiore Mike, he did that)....
Yes that is what I meant and I think I am going to try it for the transition.

Quote:
Just a heads up: your brick work and mortar look really nice. Good craftsmanship and very clean. But do try to offset those vertical brick joints on each row. Your pic (3rd one back) has the 1st brick off the left entry arch-wall lining up for 3 rows. I know it's bound to happen where you cant help it, but try to mix it up...
Cheers, Dino
Yeah, I forget about it at the beginning about the joints lining up, I get most of the rest in a running bond pattern, but the hemi-sphere and angles seem to mess with my joints after I get going in a rhythm, then it is usually too late! As I sure aren't going to take bricks out that do fit!!!

Just the got to the first into/over the arch brick today and it pretty much knocked my ***, but I finally got the one side.

Eric

Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
# Apparently 8" diam. clay flue pipe is not available anymore (the factory out here is not making it according to my brickyard)
I think your vendor is lying to you. 8" square flue tile is a standard construction item. You could probably special order it from the home depot contractor desk if none of your local brickyards handle it (?). Around here, they are stacked up high.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neil a tapered door has the problem of being more difficult to make accurately and can also create problems as the structure cools and shrinks around the door. Someone on the forum reported some major damage to their oven when their door jammed because of this problem. I built my first oven with a tapered door, having made the door first and casting over it to form the entry. It worked ok, and sometimes got stuck, but will be a pain to make a new one when it finally wears/burns out. I believe the door sitting against a rebate like most ovens is a superior solution.
Dave