Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Nam-Ha's 42" Pompeii Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/nam-has-42-pompeii-oven-13387.html)

namhaquach 06-30-2010 04:29 PM

Nam-Ha's 42" Pompeii Oven

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, after a few questions in the newbie section, I have moved to this part of the forum. Here is a pic of the foundation of my oven. The weather is cold and damp here so still curing. Once it's done, the base build will begin!

The oven will make up part of the overall backyard. Here is a link to my blog:

Aquaponics System

Q

countryboy 07-01-2010 07:01 PM

Re: Nam-Ha's 42" Pompeii Oven

Hey!! Another APer!!

Just starting my WFBO build, too!

You on the BYAP forum? My AP system build is Backyard Aquaponics • View topic - Countryboy's system in SC .

I'll read up on your blog.

CB

namhaquach 07-01-2010 10:50 PM

Certainly am!

Backyard Aquaponics • View topic - Quachy's second system (4000lt)

user name is quachy

Q

BackyardPermaculture 07-02-2010 04:16 AM

Great stuff Quachy - just been reading your AP thread; something I really want to get into.

Cheers,
Mick

countryboy 07-02-2010 04:56 AM

Cool! Nice to make the connection!

CB

namhaquach 07-10-2010 08:11 PM

no more progress yet. ran out of funds dang it! Oh well, at least the slab will be well cured by next month!

namhaquach 08-18-2010 02:39 AM

Been a long time coming, but work is starting to progress on the oven. Will be picking up 50 concrete blocks on Friday (well maybe 25 then another 25, depending on how the trailer handles the weight) to begin the base on Saturday. I am thinking of filling every other core with concrete mix and not using mortar.

For the base of the oven, what are peoples thoughts on:
very bottom layer lined with sisalation (silver foiled roofing insolation rated at R1.5)
2" concrete on top of that
another layer of sisalation
2" concrete on top of that
another layer of sisalation
3" of concrete

A total of 7" of concrete layered with 3 layers of sisalation.
I am thinking that the weight of the concrete would compress the sisalation (which doesn't have much give in it anyway) down completely.

Would the sisalation hinder the effect of the reo?

Quachy

countryboy 08-18-2010 05:23 AM

Quachy,

I don't think you want to layer the concrete with separating barriers/slip joint. Best to keep the thickness of the concrete together with steel throughout as the brick and mortarwork on top will be heavy. Then put your insulative barrier on top of the concrete pad/base.

Cheap and easy is to put a layer of vermicrete (vermiculite and cement) on the pad and build the oven on top of that. I recommend not deviating from the plans here...

:)

namhaquach 08-19-2010 02:02 AM

Thanks CB!

DrakeRemoray 08-19-2010 09:58 AM

I would stick with the plans and use either 4" of vermiculite concrete or some high heat insulating board. This insulation should go on top of the support slab and directly under the oven floor. This is a very important step...