Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Peasant

Default Re: My UK build is out of the ground!

Hi Joe,

Yeah thought a lot about the reach, I knew it was going to be quite deep as I still have a brick and a half arch to build out of firebrick for the vault, then a face brick arch to finish it off. Like you say, similar to yours.
Im sure there may be another way to construct a vault to reduce the depth though!

Cheers

Allan
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega_uk View Post
Im sure there may be another way to construct a vault to reduce the depth though!

Cheers

Allan
you can cast the entry and make it really shallow.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Peasant

If I would like to install a fire break in the firebrick floor at the entry to the inner arch, what would I use to make the firebreak itself?

Cheers

Allan
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Laborer

Quote:
If I would like to install a fire break in the firebrick floor at the entry to the inner arch, what would I use to make the firebreak itself?

Cheers

Allan
Myself and many others have used a piece of stainless steel box tubing which we packed with leftover Calcium Silicate or Ceramic wool insulation.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Laborer

I also wanted to do something for a thermal break. Of course I am not sure if this has any effect at all, but here is what I did. I did basically the same thing between the inner arch and the entry. Just a few cuts with the saw to lessen the surface area of contact. I'm sure it will fill with ashes, but still should help.
Attached Thumbnails
My UK build is out of the ground!-15-thermal-break-landing.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think heat transfer would act very similar to water.
If there is continuous contact or it can flow unimpeded without a barrier then it will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Peasant

Yeah, I agree Al.
I am thinking of putting a split course of those insulated firebrick in to form the thermal break, then continue the herringbone to the front arch.

Will those insulated firebrick do the job?

Cheers

Allan
Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: My UK build is out of the ground!

Ok, got my inner arch done.
Couldn't work out the transition cuts on the back of the arch perfectly, (maybe I struggled to grasp it as im using forms rather than a IT), my cuts on the arch seem steeper than some I have seen. But as far as I can see its working out well, im cutting the arch and cutting the dome in also, and I am getting a fairly tidy transition.
I have only got 2 more chains then im over the arch now.
I pulled the dome forms out as I couldn't get the brick that would sit directly on the form in the correct position. The form was preventing the brick from following the true curve of the dome, so the brick would lip quite a bit over the course below. They were a good template for my first few chains, but as the radius tightens I think it would have only got worse if they stayed in!

Any feedback always welcome.

Cheers

Allan
Attached Thumbnails
My UK build is out of the ground!-pizza-arch.jpg   My UK build is out of the ground!-pizza-arch3.jpg   My UK build is out of the ground!-pizza-arch2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Yeah, I agree Al.
I am thinking of putting a split course of those insulated firebrick in to form the thermal break, then continue the herringbone to the front arch.

Will those insulated firebrick do the job?

Cheers

Allan
I used insulating fire bricks for my heat breaks and they work really gooder.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Apprentice

You'll still get a fair amount of heat into the outer arch and area through the hot gasses flowing up the chimney and heating all the surrounding brickwork. Don't expect this area to be cool, or anything. You should however notice that when the fire dies, the chimney and arch should cool far quicker than the oven bricks.
Vermiculite bricks, like what are used in woodburners could do, but as with most insulating materials they are usually fragile. Another way is to stuff a gap with stove rope and use a heat proof mastic to seal.