Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My Build 42" oven GT

I will let you know how it works out. I have already located somw heavier copper (in the barn) that I will cover the copper I used in case it wears out too quickly.
Since I am guessing the fire will be out and coals raked out before putting the door on the oven, it should be ok with the two layers of the woven cloth.
Plus the copper should reflect the heat back also.
I plan on firing it up soon so it will be ready for cooking pizza by Christmas time.
I had it up to 102' in the top of the dome using a shop light, 82' in the bottom. Thats about all the hotter it gets using the light. It should be able to get hotter with the new door on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gino
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofani View Post
I will let you know how it works out. I have already located somw heavier copper (in the barn) that I will cover the copper I used in case it wears out too quickly.
My only concern here is that copper is such a great conductor of heat and you may be losing a lot of heat and or conduct enough to char or burn your wood core.

I burned up my temporary door that had contact with a stainless inner surface and stainless does not conduct nearly as well as copper.

I have a stainless interior on my new door and was able to use pop rivets to hold it together and so far it is nice and solid.

Just my two cents...

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 12-11-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Apprentice

I am hoping that does not happen, the wood is not touching the copper that faces the oven interior. The inner piece of wood has two layers of fireproof woven cloth wrapped around it.
If it burns up, I will make another one out of something else.
My stainless attempt is working now as a temporary door. I may just finish it the best I can and use it when the oven is at the higher temperatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gino
Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Apprentice

After placing a halogen shop light in the oven for the last 4 days the moisture is being removed slowly.
I placed a styrofoam door over the arch with a few holes down low and a few up high and I can feel the moist warm air coming out of the top holes.
The first day the temperatures got up to about 70 at the floor and 100 at the ceiling of the dome.
Each day the temperatures increased, on day 4 without turning the light off, the floor is at 150' and the ceiling is at 172'.
As it dries the temperature difference between the floor and ceiling decrease.
I had a lot of moisture in the 2" ceramic board under my floor by the time I was done building the dome. I am hoping the temperature increasing on the floor means that I am moving the moisture out.
If I reach 200' with the light at the ceiling of the dome, I will shut it down and let it cool. I would think I am ready for some fire.

Gino
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Apprentice

Finally got the time to put together the gas element made of 1/2" copper.
I have the temperature up to the 170's and will leave it there until the floor heats up more to even out the temperatures before increasing the heat up to the 200' recommended for the first firing. I already had it up to 190' with the light before the light overheated and melted some wiring.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Gino
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Peasant

It looks great, you should get a nice even temp with that setup. Are you going to use gas to cure the whole oven or use wood when you get to 400 degree temps. I found that the lower temp fires were harder to control.

Wes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Apprentice

The gas made it easy to control the temperatures, I did a 200' cure a few days ago, then had to abort my first 300' attempt at about 260' because of a winter storm was too windy for the copper element. Today I fired it up to just over 300', it took about an hour and a half by slowly turning up the gas. I will use the gas as long as I can keep increasing the temperatures. I was guessing that 400' would be the last with the gas, then switch to wood. We will see how it goes.
After the 200' firing, with a 1/4" styrofoam cover for a door, it was still at 75' the next day with the outside temperatures in the 30's.
I need to figure out what to cook during the 400' firing.

Gino
Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Apprentice

I got the oven up to 400 very easily with the gas so I fired it up again this afternoon.
I let it warm up slowly and now its up to just over 500 degrees at the highest point of the inside of the dome. I am going to let it burn at 500 for a little while then shut it off again. No cracks yet, knock on wood. I will continue to increase the gas until it maxes out the temperatures using the gas, then switch to a wood burn. Just wondering how high I can get the temps with the gas. The highest floor temperature so far is only 375 or so.

Gino

Last edited by gtofani; 01-06-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

I used the propane set up on the next firing. I got it to just under 600'.
Then, I ran out of propane so I fired it up with wood today. After reaching slightly over 600', I let it die down and go out. The heat was unbelievable coming out of that thing.
It was also nice to see my chimney worked great, no smoke out the front.
Almost there, a few more fires and we are ready to cook pizza.

Gino
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gino, Once you hit 850+, you're there. You might do a fire from hell after this temp, you'll do one soon enough anyway, but your oven will change how it handles the burns over the next 15 or so fires. 700 - 750 is prime pizza temps for me, some like it hotter some cooler.

:-)

Chris