Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I Think my 1" offset on the pivot point and 1" offset on the brick bracket opposite of one another would cancel each other out…….. Is this a correct deduction?
Not totally. Hate to get all mathy on you, but if you think about the IT as a triangle that has its 3 points at 1) the center of the dome, 2) the pivot for your IT, and 3)the bottom corner of the brick bracket - then the "true" IT length will be the hypotenuse of that triangle. As you move up the dome and pivot the IT, those three angles are going to change. That means the length of the hypotenuse changes as well. But...

If your string is telling you that it is close, it's probably close enough!

As for dropping the first course to avoid cracks, I would not bother. The weight of the entire dome is sitting on that first course. There is no way you could crack it by hitting it with a peel! Maybe a peel propelled by an 8 lb sledge hammer, but not one you are using for cooking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Dee,
I think I decided not to shave the half inch. I dont think it worth the hassle. I did get some work done today. Pics attached
What do you all feel is the maximum and minimum For the inner arch.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0014_copied.jpg  

KB

Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I see you dialed in how to cut the floor bricks. Nice work
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice floor Bartman!

Chris
Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
What do you all feel is the maximum and minimum For the inner arch.
There is a target ratio of arch:dome height which I think is 60-65%. So the answer is, depends on how high you want your dome...

Height: If you are shooting for a perfect hemisphere, then your dome will be 20", and you should shoot for 12 5/8 arch height, more or less.

Width: up to you - again, it depends on design. If you prefer a round arch, then it will probably 25-ish inches wide. An axed arch can be narrower.

Oh, one final thought: Size of your vent opening will drive the size of your flue.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-26-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Master Builder

With oven radius of 19.5" and the 1" offset from pivot point on the IT. I should end up about 18.5” dome height. I’m shooting for oven opening of 19.5” x 12”….I’m still thinking of going with the 8” x 17” x 24” clay flue liner……(standard size stocked at the local masonry supply) I.D. 15.5” x 6.25” flue area of 96.88”. FB plans call for a 8” with a area of about 50”...... I thinking bigger is better...... To a point according to a post I seen...... Not sure what that is...... Should be very little restriction........ I’m thinking of 48” of insulated clay to get out of my screen enclosure, then transitioning smoothly to 8” X 60” stove pipe the additional height....... Alot cheaper than 8" stainless steel all the way .

Ps.Thanks Chris.

Let me know guts what you all think.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-26-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That all sounds good. My only question would be about the height of the flue. What type of enclosure are you planning? 24" is probably ok for an igloo, but won't clear the roof of a doghouse

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Im thinking of 48 of insulated clay to get out of my screen enclosure, then transitioning smoothly to 8 X 60 stove pipe the additional height
Total flue height.........about 108"
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0038.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Journeyman

So I'm going to be making a IT as well, but I figured a way to make sure your dome bricks are on track with some string and a plum bob. If you don't have access to a computer program that can give you the dimensions lay out your dome profile on a piece of cardboard. Then measure from the center of your oven floor out a distance to where the top of your dome brick would be. You can measure that and the height right off your profile. Then just use a plum bob to check your height. That in conjunction with a IT and you should be right on.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

K79,

I am a little confused about what you are talking about with the IT and attached picture of your inner arch.

Tags
chimney, flue