Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
"Anyway, if your wife sees you junking up her massager, you might have a bigger problem than voids in the concrete!"

Absorb the wisdom!
Thanks all for the advice................All I can say somebody had to put bob in his place....................Anyway pours completed on Friday. All seems to be slow curing nicely under plastic, keeping everthing moist
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2898.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2901.jpg  

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Master Builder

Curing coming along nicely............I removed the casts from their forms............Got some nasty bung holes to fill.........bummer , I hope I'm able to fill then and match the color. .......Not sure what to fill them with. I'm thinking I need to screen out some of the aggregate from the countertop mix and a little colorant................ When and how long should I wait before grinding and polishing?
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2902.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2903.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2906.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2911.jpg  

KB

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Curing coming along nicely............I removed the casts from their forms............Got some nasty bung holes to fill.........bummer , I hope I'm able to fill then and match the color. .......Not sure what to fill them with. I'm thinking I need to screen out some of the aggregate from the countertop mix and a little colorant................ When and how long should I wait before grinding and polishing?
They came out great KB, you should be proud of those. As to the slurry mix, it depends what your after.

If those were mine, I think I'd slurry that with white Portland....mainly because I like contrasting colors on counters. I even think a blue would look great too.

I forgot to ask...maybe you mentioned earlier..were are you in Fla? We are in Miami until tomorrow, then heading to Sarasota for a few days, then up to the
Orlando area.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Turned out nice, the bug holes can be filled with a slurry and colorant and your will never notice them after the polish. I just repolished my counters after mucking up the finish when I install stucco on my dome and filled some of the winter damage with an acrylic enhanced cement repair material with some colorant from the original pour.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
They came out great KB, you should be proud of those. As to the slurry mix, it depends what your after.

If those were mine, I think I'd slurry that with white Portland....mainly because I like contrasting colors on counters. I even think a blue would look great too.

I forgot to ask...maybe you mentioned earlier..were are you in Fla? We are in Miami until tomorrow, then heading to Sarasota for a few days, then up to the
Orlando area.
Thanks Stonecutter,
I have some white Portland cement left over. Should I add any sand to the mix or just plain cement? Some of the bung hole are quite deep.

Central Florida, you will be coming right close to me on your way to Orlando. Your welcome to swing bye and take a closer look at the WFO. Send me a PM I'll give you my number and you can give me a call and let me know when you might be coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Turned out nice, the bug holes can be filled with a slurry and colorant and your will never notice them after the polish. I just repolished my counters after mucking up the finish when I install stucco on my dome and filled some of the winter damage with an acrylic enhanced cement repair material with some colorant from the original pour.
Thanks Utah,
How soon do you regrind, polish and what grit should be used after applying the slurry mix?

KB

Old 05-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.
Thanks Dee,
Latex additive. I have some left over bolding agent. Think that might work?

I don't have a week to wait, counters need to be installed next weekend. Do you all have any suggestions on a food safe sealer I can get my hands on quick?.......... I'm considering a matted finish, I think a polished finish would clash with rest of the oven.

Thanks again all for your help

KB

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot

Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot
Yes I bought some of that awhile back for my pizza peel and cutting boards on your recommendation, works great on them........... Relatively covered?................ Counters will get rained on almost everyday during our rainy season which begins soon........The screen enclosure may provide a little sun protection at best...........You still think that's enough?.............. I like the idea, sure will be easy enough to apply.

KB

Tags
chimney, flue