Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Interesting to watch your counter pours. It can be a very attractive part of the build when it comes out the way you intend and a fraction of the cost of some other medium. I am backing you for something special, you are cutting no corners.

I must have been more fortunate with the eyes. Mine still work fine up close but without the specs I am like Mr McGoo with the distance stuff. I guess something has to give once you pass 60.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Master Builder

Test pour one completed.

The first photo was what was leftovers from pour one mix, no advertising here just a quick available ready made form...... Turned out very smooth and polished straight out of the form. This would be the way to go, if one had a very smooth mold made of plastic.......I like the color and think I will stay with that recipe. Although no polished aggregate shows thru in this pour and that is what I would like to achieve.

The melamine molded pour will need grinding and polishing to expose the aggregate and make the surface shiny. I placed pea gravel some crushed sea shells and some granite gravel on the melamine mold surface before pouring. It will be interesting to see how that all polishes out. Picture three you can see some of the glue reside I used to set the crushed sea shells, picture four is cleaned off

I think I will use some mechanical vibration on the next pour. I do have a lot of tiny bubbles mainly on the sides of the mold. I used a hammer to tap the side of the melamine mold and only dropped the plastic mold on to a hard surface a few times as it was just a after thought.

My trip to the craft store did not turn up any thing for inlays but the crush sea shells. I hope the mother pearl with shine thru after grinding and polishing. You can seen a few specs in the photo. After the subway pour it has given me a few more ideas for inlays. Maybe a trip to the cooking supply store for some chocolate or baking molds

As the concrete cures it will strengthen.

At 24 hours typical is about 2000 psi
7 days about 4000 psi
28 days about 6000 psi

When should the grinding and polishing begin?
I think I read some where above 3000 psi.

What you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2878.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2882.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2884.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2887.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 05-03-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Master Builder

Polishing Concrete Countertops - YouTube
How to Caulk Concrete Countertop Forms - YouTube
Good concrete polishing info.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 05-03-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Master Builder

Test pour one ground and polished to 800 grit. Took about 20 min to achieve. Started with 50 grit. Once I had the desired amount of aggregate exposed, I polish up through the different pads 100,200,400 & 800, the 50 grit took the longest.

The sea shell was scatter in the lower left, with the pea gravel upper and right along with the darker granite, the small pieces, white with the black specks is the countertop mixes' aggregate.

I think I like the look. I will spread the gravel, sea shell and granite chips more evenly and random. Not sure I really like the blacker granite. What your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2888.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2889.jpg  
GarnerAC likes this.

KB

Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the black was particle size, I think I would like it...right now the large black pieces jump out too much.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I forgot to mention...I know Cheng mentions using an orbital sander to vibrate the side of the form. That does work pretty well, but I tried a saber saw, and that worked a whole lot better.

I did 8 castings today as a matter of fact...for a stacked cap finish on some brick columns. I modified the mix with a great polymer I've used before...it completely eliminates shrink cracks. I did the mix a little dry into the mold and back filed it with loose material.

Don't rush into polishing...the longer you can wait the better.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If the black was particle size, I think I would like it...right now the large black pieces jump out too much.
Ditched the black stone for some salt and pepper marble broken into smaller pieces along with adding some pink marble. Hope to get the counters cast tomorrow......wish me luck.......Hope I'm not screwing up by not doing a test pour........... Running out of time, daughter graduates high school this month and I want to have them done by then. I start seven 12's at work next week. This will be my curing time. Polishing will start the 19th........I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I forgot to mention...I know Cheng mentions using an orbital sander to vibrate the side of the form. That does work pretty well, but I tried a saber saw, and that worked a whole lot better.

Don't rush into polishing...the longer you can wait the better.

I tried my jig saw, does not vibrate much. I may be confused (saber saw?). I have a saws all, I have one of those but have not tried it. The wife's back massager works pretty good, I might use it.

KB

Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Ditched the black stone for some salt and pepper marble broken into smaller pieces along with adding some pink marble. Hope to get the counters cast tomorrow......wish me luck.......Hope I'm not screwing up by not doing a test pour........... Running out of time, daughter graduates high school this month and I want to have them done by then. I start seven 12's at work next week. This will be my curing time. Polishing will start the 19th........I hope.
Now you have an idea what it's like building one for a client. There is always a special event, party or ceremony that is looming around the corner. My first one had to be finished on a tight schedule for a long time client, who's son was graduating collage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;173393
I tried my jig saw, does not vibrate much. I may be confused (saber saw?). I have a saws all, I have one of those but have not tried it. The wife's back massager works pretty good, I might use it.
A sawzall is a generic name for a saber, or reciprocating saw. Saying sawzall is like calling a refrigerator a Frigidaire...it's a brand. Anyway, if your wife sees you junking up her massager, you might have a bigger problem than voids in the concrete!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 AM
Master Builder

"Anyway, if your wife sees you junking up her massager, you might have a bigger problem than voids in the concrete!"

Absorb the wisdom!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have used a small handheld air chisel with a block of 4x4 in between the chisel and the form for some of my concrete work and it worked well. I did need to adjust the air pressure down to about 60 pounds and also fiddle with the air bleed on the chisel to get the right vibration.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image.jpg  

Tags
chimney, flue