Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Wow! That is quite the setup. What are you using to read the temps? Looks like a PID controller. Is it?

Seems like it's a passive/reactive temp reading setup - not sure how you'll use it to control temps - but I look forward to hearing what you're thinking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Master Builder

I know it's been awhile Dee, don't know if you ever seen the below posts but it was your suggestion that got me such a great deal on the controller. Cant' say thanks enough. A read out only was much more expensive. Controlling temps with it, will be a experiment in the works. I just find it hard to not use the controller to its full potential.......... Much more work to do before I can play with that though. ............Concrete countertops, then oven and cabinet doors then maybe I can play

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Cool idea Dee I hope to purchase a PID controller to display my temperature read outs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE® 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Oh - and Russell - I did exactly the same thing to my Rancilio! but now we've upgraded to an Izzo Alex Duetto which is fantastic. But that's another topic for a whole 'nother thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Hey Guys,

No worry about mucking up the thread, this discussion is all good here.

Dee,

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased that controller less the relay, heat sink and added a thermocouple that is better suited to install in my oven door for a grand total !!!!!!!!!!!! wait for it.....................$5.83 Let me say that again.......... $5.83.............................. I got free shipping and a $30 instant savings ..........

I didn't know amazon had such great deals. I can't thank you enough Dee.

Colin,
I have access to scrap thermocouple extension wire, so my cost is just my time to twist the two extension wires together and tape. The only reason I used the fiberglass tape, was the extension wire I used was only good to about 480F. I figured taping them would keep the two PFA insulated wires from shorting together before the formed twisted measuring junction which makes the thermocouple. With the tubing I used as thermo wells , I can easily pull out and replace if they go bad. A 100ft spool of fiberglass insulated wire rated at about 890F would be better suited not have to be taped, allow for multiple configurations and locations for about 60 cent a foot. TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control

Don't get me wrong the premade's are a great deal and would probably hold up better, But having a spool on hand allows one to customize and repair on a whim.

KB

Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, yeah. That was a while ago! I still haven't gotten anywhere on the fan/door idea. Been playing around with a another project that called for thermocouples and SSR's and pots and such so very much top of mind. Maybe I will fab something up for the door idea this summer. I have a welder and the parts are cheap. shouldn't be too much trouble!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow kb.. talk about elaborate.very thorough.

That underneath picture needs much more explanation.

I have gone for 10 positions.But have not made mine permanent. I am using a stainless steel probe.

I will make hearth tc permanent.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-02-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Wow kb.. talk about elaborate.very thorough.

That underneath picture needs much more explanation.

I have gone for 10 positions.But have not made mine permanent. I am using a stainless steel probe.

I will make hearth tc permanent.
I will try to explain. The larger 3/4"conduit on the far right of the picture brings power in for lighting and receptacles. The receptacle and power is GFIC protected. The light in the corner is switched by the switch next to the power receptacle. The other two switches are dimmer type to light the oven outside.

The larger 1/2" flex leaving the gray enclosure and tying to the five smaller J-boxes along the ceiling (one not seen in picture) carries the thermocouple wire to there locations. The thermocouple wires leave the back of j-boxes and enters the tubing leading to the end where the temperature is sensed.

The last picture was before the j-boxes were mounted. Noticed each chase has the insertion depth noted to facilitate full insertion during installation and future replacements.

Hope this helps, any further details needed just let me know
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2858.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2849.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2671.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-02-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Hey KB. It's been quite awhile since I checked in on your build. I just wanted to be yet another one to congratulate you w/your build. You should be quite proud of all the hard work you have put in. I just wanted to say "nice job!!".

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
Hey KB. It's been quite awhile since I checked in on your build. I just wanted to be yet another one to congratulate you w/your build. You should be quite proud of all the hard work you have put in. I just wanted to say "nice job!!".
Thanks NC,
Just finished up a three week outage at work, 12 hours days has worked its toll on me. Going to get rested up a bit then get started on those countertops. I just need to find my motivation .....Daughter graduates end of May don't have much time.

KB

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 AM
Master Builder

Got started on the counter tops. I built my forms using 3/4" melamine board. I received a Fu Cheng instructional dvd with the wet polisher I purchased. The dvd is pretty informative. I noticed that when he poured the mixture into forms the particle board of the melamine was exposed. ????? Seem like the wood would swell and cause problems. Any once have any experience on this? Seems like it would need to be protected from moisture. Any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2862.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2863.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2869.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day KB
Melamine is basically plastic coated chipboard. Tape the joints and no moisture gets through to chipboard ... No swelling . My slab on the stand was melamine with taped joints produced a beautiful smooth surface. Shame really , you only see it it if you crawl into the wood stowage and look up. No one sees it shame its possibly the smoothest piece of cement work I've even produced.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-29-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Speeling
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used silicon on all the joints inside the forms. I taped the top of the form once, but I don't bother with that anymore...mainly because I don't use melamine for the mould itself, only the table. But since this is your first time using melamine, its probably a good idea to tape off the top or coat it with a light oil.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Tags
chimney, flue