Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
As visions of WFO danced in my head, this idea woke me up this morning.:

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated the use of ceramic fiber rope or band between the first soldier course and the oven floor. I think this would allow expansion and also not allow the gap to fill with ash. Any comments our suggestion?
Try it and report back. A weak vermicrete mix will do the same thing.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB,

You given any thought of whether you will taper and bevel you dome bricks. If so, I did make an inexpensive jig to cut both the taper and bevel at the same time for a HF cheapo saw or you can look at my thread for pics. Good luck, the fun is beginning.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Apprentice

I'd say that an expansion joint would only be needed if you were to use different materials between hearth and dome. The one between dome and outer arch is to minimise heat bleeding out to an area that doesn't benefit the oven.

As Mr T said "don't overthink it".

Cracks will be cracks, the mechanical design takes care of that too. if the outside is bigger than the inside, it won't fall in!

Good luck!!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

You given any thought of whether you will taper and bevel you dome bricks. If so, I did make an inexpensive jig to cut both the taper and bevel at the same time for a HF cheapo saw or you can look at my thread for pics. Good luck, the fun is beginning.[/QUOTE]

Yes Utah, or should I call you by name?
I plan to come up with some type of jig. Somewhere on the forum I saw a nice brand new wet saw that incorporated the vertical adjusts.
I ain,t got that kind of money. I bet it set him back grand or two.

I believe you replied to me a little while back on your jig, which you said you used scrap cuts to set the that angle I was wondering how that work for ya?

I think spending the little extra time to cut those bevel is well worth it. I also been wondering about the rounded floor cuts Iíve seen on the forum; not sure how they were done. I was thinking of making angle cuts to match straight face on the first solder course. Not sure how that would work.

PS.
Thanks everone for the support I was ready to pull my hair out a few days ago. its all coming together now. keep posting

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry for repeating myself on the jig. If you are going to taper and bevel as jig is very helpful. since each course, assuming it is symetrical (ie, use a IT) has basically the same taper and angle for that course. A jig helps you make consistent cuts. It work very well for this purpose. If you are not tapering and beveling then the jig is probably not in the cards. As far as the round floors, I did one, you can do it on wet saw by slowing feathering the cut, little slivers. However, if you are not building an igloo style and doing an enclosure, you can build the dome right on the floor bricks and not have to deal with the round floor cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-28a-hearth-brick-cut-5.20.12.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Sorry for repeating myself on the jig.

If you are not tapering and beveling then the jig is probably not in the cards.
Russell,
No need for apologies.

Of course taper and beveling is in the cards. Call a spade a spade. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness is not obvious by now? Or is my job site not clean enough for ya? lol
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0106.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0118.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Master Builder

Ps.
By the looks of those perfectly round corners. You may also be plague with the dreaded disease.

KB

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Russell,
No need for apologies.

Of course taper and beveling is in the cards. Call a spade a spade. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness is not obvious by now? Or is my job site not clean enough for ya? lol
Quote:
Ps.
By the looks of those perfectly round corners. You may also be plague with the dreaded disease.
Russell,
Hope I did'nt offend you. I think your build is superb. I only hope mine turns out as well. Keep posting.

KB

Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh it is a compliment, that's why I am still working on the outside of my build. Good luck with your build.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
As far as the round floors, I did one, you can do it on wet saw by slowing feathering the cut, little slivers.
Thanks for the info on cutting curved brick tried it before going to bed this morning. Works great. Working night shift this week going to bed.

Hope I can meet you standards. You have set the bar high.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0120.jpg  

KB

Tags
chimney, flue