Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

He is the builder. No way would I build an igloo under those conditions. A house or even better a shed would be the way to go.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Wet seasons is summer ,hot wet and humid. But autumn, winter and spring are dry and cool. Why would you want an enclosed or roof oven for the majority of the year . You really want to be out in the open air so that's why I fight the damp instead of a fully enclosed oven or roof.
I'm constantly amazed how the cold wheather in parts of the world close down all outdoor activity. The summer her is too hot in the noonday sun buts the nights are glorious
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And here in Melbourne any day of the week we can have all 4 sessions.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
And here in Melbourne any day of the week we can have all 4 sessions.
4 sessions in one day is getting a bit greedy isn't it?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
He is the builder. No way would I build an igloo under those conditions. A house or even better a shed would be the way to go.
I know he is the builder, that is a third person expression.

If I'm not mistaken, or something has changed, he plans on building a shed roof over the oven...so the dome won't be completely exposed to the elements.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Master Builder

One season at a time is fine for me, Bundaberg is less manic than Melbourne and we survive well without your rubbish weather. The occasional flood breaks the monotony. Being able to use the WFO all year is a very pleasant part of living in the sub tropics.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Journeyman

those once in 100year floods are nothing to worry about
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Master Builder

The joys of living on the high bank.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
We live in the tropics and during the wet season the humidity is so high that mould on clothing in wardrobes is sometimes a problem. Porous refractory gets pretty wet even without any direct rain and the oven interior is also sometimes mouldy. Both the chimney cap and door are much bigger in area than a vent, so would expect more uptake of moisture through them than a small covered vent. The chimney cap can allow some moisture through and after heavy downpours with some sideways rain the tell tale sign of some soot on the floor bricks under the flue is evidence. Likewise driving rain around the entry will find some water ingress. The vent does a good job of removing the water and I've done it at least once every wet season for the past four years without creating any oven damage, so for us a vent is mandatory.Likewise a hole in the supporting slab to communicate with the underfloor insulation.

Sorry, should have added that our oven is an igloo style and exposed to the weather.
I should also have mentioned that nearly all the rain for the year falls in the three months of the wet season (Jan Feb Mar). Apart from two showers about 2 mm each, we have not had any rain since April, so our conditions are ideal for most of the year for an oven exposed to the elements. Beautiful sunny days with temps typically between 20-30 C. 320 sunny days/ year with an av. 8.5 hrs sun/ day. In the crappy weather we now go skiing for two weeks in Japan, only a 7 hr flight north with one hour time difference and gorgeous dry powder.Tough life!
cobblerdave likes this.

Last edited by david s; 10-06-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Master Builder

Oks Guys,
As tropical Storm Karen fizzled out in the Gulf Of Mexico, I was able to finish the outer decorative arch and continue on the curing process. I was shooting for the old rugged antique look, nothing fancy. I thought tapering the bricks would take away from that. I hope it will blend nicely with the existing stucco walls.

I'm Glad I took the time to incorporate the heat break like those whom have trodden before. The oven was still 575F this morning with minimal insulation and only a cement board door. With the dome nearing 800 F last night, the decorative arch was only slightly above ambient. I give credit to all those on this forum, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2599.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2601.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2606.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2604.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2609.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 10-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Tags
chimney, flue