Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

You generally replace the whole head unit if the bearings go bad. It will be obvious if they are, aside from the noise, the blade will wobble.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Place the pump in a separate 5 gallon bucket of water that you refill as needed. The brick fines play havoc with the HF pumps. I think Tscar also said to wrap the pump in cheese cloth and place in the bucket as well. By doing this my HFsaw pump lasted my who build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The saw table should have either a plug or be made in such a way that the water will overflow in one particular place. Put the bucket under that. Terry cloth works well too.

Thanks guys
Heres my version:
The over flows drains into dirty bucket and a fresh water bucket for supply
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0091.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0090.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0097.jpg  

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbartman; 03-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 AM
Master Builder

Good morning all,
Woke up this morning and I pondering thermal expansion, and thermal breaks in my dreams…….. LOL… The oven floor resting on ceramic fiber board is free floating. The first soldier course surrounds the floor and the gap between them is approx. 1/8”. Will the expansion gap cease to exist once it is fill will ash? What is everyone thoughts on this? Please help point me in the right direction I don’t want my dome to crack, so I want to give this very careful consideration while I’m laying out and cutting my floor.
Thanks,

KB

Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Only the WFO gods will determine whether your dome cracks or not. To some degree all ovens crack somewhere and at different degrees of severtiy. The gap will fill with ash, nothing you can do about it, does it decreases it's purpose, maybe maybe not. One thing that you can do to help maximize the exp. joint purpose is to prevent mortar from falling into the gap during your build. Make sure you cover the gap with duct tape during the dome construction to keep the mortar from falling in.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Not going to trust WFO gods.
I think I'll put in a request to my God. If that be his will, I have a lot better chance. .
So yesterday I had a pretty successful for day. I started out on the wrong foot though. If anyone can remember one thing while reading about this build. If you change the material size go back and revise your drawings. To make a long story short, I had forgotten that when I was researching firebrick. That I had base all my drawings on a brick that was 4 x 8 x 2 ¼ “, they were $1.10 each at my local masonry supply, which was along the line of the price in FB plans. The fellow at the supply house told me that he did not think they even made the 9 x 4 ½” X 2 ½ “ bricks anymore and assured me that they were the right bricks for job. After completing my oven stand I thought a little more on the firebrick. I wanted to stay as close to the FB plans, and as close to the materials that FB sells with their Pompeii Oven Kit. My concern was that the smaller firebrick might change the already proven thermal mass of the oven. I ended up finding the larger firebrick at a local refractory supply. It matches the brick in the FB kit, all though it was pricey $2.50 each. I don’t know if the brick prices have went up since the FB plans were completed. But I do know one thing. The $1200 estimated oven completion is long gone. So to sum things up I now have a 39” oven. I don’t think I’ll notice a difference.

PS.
Had shut down for rain delay. I hope I can keep the floor insulation dry after I lay it.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0118.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0115.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0119.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Master Builder

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Stuck inside, so I thought I would post a few and loose my title as a Serf and become a Peasant.

Here's my take on the Harbor Freight saw:

After cutting my first brick and eliminating my fears. I decided to give the HF some maintenance.
Here are a few points and pictures if anyone cares.

Lubricate the darn thing as pointed out in the pictures.

Good water supply is key to successfully cutting bricks with very little dust: as shown in the pic. I will still wear dust mask.

Don’t let the plastic tubing get so old and brittle, that it falls apart in your hands. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time finding a replacement quick connect fitting or spend hours digging out the old tube with a paper clip to reuse it.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0094.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0096.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0107.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0109.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0110.jpg  

My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0112.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Master Builder

Yippy I just became a Peasant

KB

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Woke up this morning and I pondering thermal expansion, and thermal breaks in my dreams…….. LOL… The oven floor resting on ceramic fiber board is free floating. The first soldier course surrounds the floor and the gap between them is approx. 1/8”. Will the expansion gap cease to exist once it is fill will ash? What is everyone thoughts on this? Please help point me in the right direction I don’t want my dome to crack, so I want to give this very careful consideration while I’m laying out and cutting my floor.
As visions of WFO's danced in my head, this idea woke me up this morning.:

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated the use of ceramic fiber rope or band between the first soldier course and the oven floor. I think this would allow expansion and also not allow the gap to fill with ash. Any comments our suggestion?

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't overthink it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

LOL.... someone always has to hit me up side the head and gets me moving.... I tend to get lock up on things and don't accomplish much...... I guess thats just the way the Man upstairs made me.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Tags
chimney, flue