Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Ok Guys,

I poured the insulating/buttressing concrete yesterday. I think I should be able to remove form boards today. How soon can I put a fire in her. I'm getting anxious.
I would give the portland in the vcrete at least 7 days to cure before firing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Bummer ..............................its going to be a long wait
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2540.jpg  

KB

Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I lit the first fire in mine about 15 minutes after I pulled the arch form out. Just build the heat slowly and you are good.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I lit the first fire in mine about 15 minutes after I pulled the arch form out. Just build the heat slowly and you are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post

No one get there panties in a wad, but couldn't wait........... It's official, first fire......although just a draw test on the flu, a wad of paper........... I think I will let her rest and cure while I work on insulating and the enclosure.....................
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2543.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2544.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2545.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 09-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey KB looking good.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Anything made with Portland cement will benefit from being kept moist for a week to increase strength. If you are not concerned about strength then it doesn't matter. Removing the water though, can be problematic because steam will rapidly increase in volume and can make the vermicrete layer expand and crack destroying the bonds that the cement made. As the vermicrete contains around double the amount of water than the same volume of normal concrete removing that water can cause problems.I like to let time and the weather do much of the drying, but this depends on what Mother Nature dishes up to you. I did some tests with vermicrete that may help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vermicrete insulating slab copy.doc.zip (73.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
hey KB looking good.
Thanks Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Anything made with Portland cement will benefit from being kept moist for a week to increase strength.
I think I'll wait the seven days and go easy then. Neat testing David, Thanks for your input.

I got some insulation around the chimney. That is some nasty stuff. We will have to do a study in about 25 years and see how many WFO widows there will actual be........... I used a respirator, I think next time I'll were a Tyvex suit. I was thinking of putting the insulation on the dome for curing then remove on inspect for cracks. I don't think I want to do that,........... It's to nasty.............. Also I got all the studs cut for the chimney surround..............
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2548.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2552.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 09-17-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Master Builder

Ok Guy's
I'm finally curing the oven........... Added some thermocouples to help with the curing process and to play with later. I have been trying to hold the dome top at 200degrees today.

I'm pretty sure I want to finish insulating the dome before I go to the higher temps................... What are you'all thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2555.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2556.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2557.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2562.jpg  

KB

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi KB

I have been in contact with a commercial oven builder, that builds commercial furnaces . His practical over 30 years experience told me. Finish the oven completely then cure. that's what I will do.

Btw. Looking good. A picture of your Thermo couples would be great still contemplating that one. Also any cracks appear?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi KB

I have been in contact with a commercial oven builder, that builds commercial furnaces . His practical over 30 years experience told me. Finish the oven completely then cure. that's what I will do.

Btw. Looking good. A picture of your Thermo couples would be great still contemplating that one. Also any cracks appear?
Colin,
Sorry no picture of the thermocouple. It is just some scrap thermocouple extension wire twisted together to form the measuring junction and then taped with high temperature glass tape the first foot. I'll take a picture on the next one I make.

Sorry no cracks its all covered with insulation now.....I guess I'll never know.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn2564.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 10-01-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: grammer

Tags
chimney, flue