Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Looking good in. Still love your entry wide and very well built. Will look at your detail more when I get to this point. A way off at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Looking good in. Still love your entry wide and very well built. Will look at your detail more when I get to this point. A way off at the moment.
Thanks,
Any questions let me know. Although I think there is a lot more experienced help here on the forum. I'll try to help ya anyway I can.

Hope your boy has a great bday.

Ok Guys,
There seams to be some differing opinions going around........One reason I try to error on the side of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Didn't think that was necessary for a hemispheric arch.
Brickie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Unless the material the arch is made of is strong enough in tension you need to. Even a hemispherical arch still has force vectors not in line with the legs.

I'm incorporating a four inch rebar reinforced block buttressing wall on each side of my hemispherical arch. At the base of the arch a 2 1\2" void separation between block buttress wall, this will get larger as the arch curves. I plan to fill this with a vermiculite insulating concrete.

I did not feel comfortable leaving my arch un buttressed.
I think I should be able to sufficiently buttress my arch with the proper ratio mixed insulating concrete. I was thinking 6:1 vermiculite to Portland cement.

What are everones thoughts and suggestions?

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Ok Guys,
There seams to be some differing opinions going around........One reason I try to error on the side of caution.
Read this page, then the whole site.

If you have to buttress a semi circle arch then surely you would have to buttress a semi circle dome too?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 09-01-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post

If you have to buttress a semi circle arch then surely you would have to buttress a semi circle dome too?
That page and site has a lot of interesting and helpful information. From my understanding of their description on that page they distinguish between a ‘circular dome’ and an individual arch by describing the additional circular force acting within the dome structure. While the dome cross section is essentially a semicircular arch, absent this circular force the stand alone arch is seemingly less stable and as Tscarborough mentioned above it should have some buttressing.

I buttressed my entry arch somewhat because I figured it needed it but more so because of my rudimentary masonry skills and fear that it could be weak because I didn't know what I was doing.

Link to my build:
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Master Builder

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruning View Post
That page and site has a lot of interesting and helpful information.

I buttressed my entry arch somewhat because I figured it needed it but more so because of my rudimentary masonry skills and fear that it could be weak because I didn't know what I was doing.
John,
I agree very good article good info, a little above my pay grade and my rudimentary skills also. I'll error on the side of safety. Hope to pour some insulating concrete around the arch today.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image09062013074430.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image09062013075817.jpg  

KB

Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB,

That sure is looking nice. How far from the real kitchen is the oven?

And remember if you turn out a marginal pie..... you might get a dunk in the pool from the recipients for not being a pizza master.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

just read through your thread. Nice Build. and well done. Congrats.
Texman

Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Not necessarily....there are infinite variables which factor into whether buttressing is needed or not.

One thing for sure, it won't hurt anything if a buttress is included in the build..good insurance.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The fact that you loaded the arch and removed the centering without a hinge failure proves you have enough thickness in your arch without adding a buttress. For your span of 20"....3"-3.5" thickness on your arch is sufficient.

That said, you won't go wrong if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
...I'll error on the side of safety.....
There is wisdom in caution.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 09-06-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
KB,

That sure is looking nice. How far from the real kitchen is the oven?

And remember if you turn out a marginal pie..... you might get a dunk in the pool from the recipients for not being a pizza master.
Thanks Chip,

The kitchen is across the pool in the house. Hopefully I can master the pie soon and avoid the dunk, I'm sure I will with everyone expert advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
just read through your thread. Nice Build. and well done. Congrats.
Texman
Thanks Texman,
Coming from a master builder like yourself,that means a lot.

I like your outer decorative arch I hope to do something similar. I noticed that there is no over lap of the outer vent arch and you have no smoke stains outside of the oven. I was considering having a over lap to avoid stains. The draw of the chimney must be the key.

Hope to put a fire in her soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The fact that you loaded the arch and removed the centering without a hinge failure proves you have enough thickness in your arch without adding a buttress. For your span of 20"....3"-3.5" thickness on your arch is sufficient.

That said, you won't go wrong if...

There is wisdom in caution.
Thanks Stonecutter,
I really appreciated all your advice and wisdom.

Ok Guys,

I poured the insulating/buttressing concrete yesterday. I think I should be able to remove form boards today. How soon can I put a fire in her. I'm getting anxious.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image09072013075006.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image09072013075026.jpg  

KB

Tags
chimney, flue