Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
Thanks Utah,
I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
David,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks Utah,
I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.
Because the plans are bit old and not refreshed with the latest/greatest innovations from the forum. The plans don't tell you to use an IT, or how to taper your bricks, or how to build a tapered arch either! Lots of room for updating there.

I had visions of some sort of oven building wiki, but lost steam on the idea.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by K79 View Post
I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.
Good idea K. Did you have to remove the pan very many times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.
Looking for the free stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Lots of room for updating there.
Charcoal just seems that it belongs in the oven

Thanks Guys for all the help.

I managed to finish my vent floor and heat break. All but the stainless flashing which will be easy to do any time. I manage to slope the oven vent floor landing away from the oven . Once the flashing is in place I think I will be safe from any water intrusion into the insulation entering the front of the oven.

My floor heat break is blend of the those whom trodden before. I'm not sure how well it will perform, but it's better then nothing. I should had used a wider piece of stainless. it would have allowed a thicker section of insulating brick beneath. I ended up with only a one inch sliver of insulating brick. I thought about beveling the two types of brick but didn't thing I would gain much. Most of all the angle cuts would have been a nightmare of difficulty. So it is what it is. I can always put a wider insulating and stainless barrier later if I don't like how it performs.

I incorporated a ceramic fiber band like Gulf did, this should slow some of the heat transfer to the stainless and beyond. We will see......... I allowed the stainless tubing to be slightly higher than the surrounding bricks. This should keep the edges of the bricks from chipping. The square tubing has a nicely rounded corners the and any tool or pans etc... should glide over it easily I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0174.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0177.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0178.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0179.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0181.jpg  

KB

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks Utah,

David,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
Zinc's melting point is somewhere near 400 C so unless it were inside the oven it should not get anywhere near those numbers. There may be toxic gases given off at lower temps, but I doubt it. Use thin stainless to be safe and corrosion free.

You must be getting really close to some fires by now. That's the exciting part.

Last edited by david s; 08-20-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB,

Very nice to see you incorporate a lot of the items we cut our teeth on. Should be firing soon. I agree with DJ that the Pompelli Plans could use some modernizing.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

Keep a close eye on those lights in your oven. I almost melted the rubber coating on the wire with mine. My oven smelled like burnt rubber for a day or so. As far as the removable tray, I only used it when I wanted to end my fire for the night and close my door to keep the heat in when using the coal. Very easy clean up. I used it as well when I was doing my curing fires with wood and for this, yes I did remove that pan a few times to control my heat. Turned out very useful.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Master Builder

Still slow going here. My temporary enclosure to facilitate firing of oven, adding insulation, building permanent enclosure and stuccoing chimney, has turn out to be a major project in it's self. The rainy season will soon be over, and the need for the temporary enclosure will be less.......Oh well I can take my time............ the end of August is here already.

I manage to finish the chimney penetration, finish my heat breaks and put some masonry fire clay home brew cladding on the dome. I used Koawool caulking to seal my heat breaks. The neutral white turn bright white after drying.......ouch. I wish I would have placed the fiber rope deeper into the recess and hid the caulking joint.....Oh well...........the joint is very firm and I agree with DJ and think it will hold up well..... I would have like to have used the safe stuff Utah used, but it was just too pricey at $43.85 each........Now that I think about it 23, bucks difference is nothing............
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0188.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0183.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0184.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0191.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0190.jpg  

KB

Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The caulk at that location will be black soon enough.

Tags
chimney, flue