Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #341  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
stonecutter's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Carolina,USA
Posts: 1,909
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post


Stonecutter,

I like the idea with the Redgard. I looked it up online and they listed Home Depot as a distributor. I'm stopping by there after work hopefully they'll have it. Cutting a 1\8" groove around the oven also sound good.
Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
stonecutter's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Carolina,USA
Posts: 1,909
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post



Stonecutter,

You've read my mind. After finishing the temporary enclosure I sat back for a look and the exact same thought came to mind. Something on the smaller and lower side though. Although I like the shade it provides. Winter time shade with the sun further south would probably be non existent. Still pretty warm in the sun during the winter, in Florida. Lower would be better.

I like the block idea. Lots of decisions to be make
Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 PM
kbartman's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 539
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I appreciate everyone's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB
when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
Thanks for checking for me, I'll get some ordered soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.
Not sure what your getting at in the above post stonecutter. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.
I will clean the grove well, thanks for the info.

Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.
__________________
Respectfully,

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbartman; 08-09-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM
stonecutter's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Carolina,USA
Posts: 1,909
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post





Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.
What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,852
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB
when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
kbartman's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 539
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.
Ok I think I have this worked out in my head. Can't seem to draw it on paper with any clarity. But I Pulled the trigger and purchase steel stud material for dog house enclosure and a faux stucco chimney. I just didn't feel comfortable building a all brick chimney to extend above my screen enclosure. A brick layer I'm not. So faux it is. Although is has yet to be seen if I'm a stucco man.

Attaching steel studs on the side of the block stand may be a idea to explore, but I think I'll have enough room with sill place on top with adequate insulation.

Sorry Gulf, I know I said I was modeling my vent and chimney after yours, but your craftsmanship and brick laying skills far out way mine. I will though try to copy your oven landing in some way, with your blessing and guidance of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
David...... .................
__________________
Respectfully,

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,035
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
__________________
Cheers Colin


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM
kbartman's Avatar
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 539
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dsci0672.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dsci0677.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0169.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0170.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0172.jpg  

__________________
Respectfully,

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 AM
UtahBeehiver's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,564
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
Gulf likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,852
Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
mrchipster likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chimney, flue

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Italian Wood-Fired Ovens are Round james Newbie Forum 50 04-01-2014 10:14 PM
Need Help with troubled oven mrchipster Design Styles, Chimneys and Finish 13 02-25-2013 05:29 PM
GLUTEN FREE Pizza Recipe mrsleep99 Pizza 6 07-26-2011 04:26 AM
Will the oven make all the difference? bobvl2 Newbie Forum 8 07-02-2008 09:55 PM
Fireplace base for Pizza oven acornscone Getting Started 7 03-24-2008 11:12 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC