Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Stonecutter,

I like the idea with the Redgard. I looked it up online and they listed Home Depot as a distributor. I'm stopping by there after work hopefully they'll have it. Cutting a 1\8" groove around the oven also sound good.
Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Stonecutter,

You've read my mind. After finishing the temporary enclosure I sat back for a look and the exact same thought came to mind. Something on the smaller and lower side though. Although I like the shade it provides. Winter time shade with the sun further south would probably be non existent. Still pretty warm in the sun during the winter, in Florida. Lower would be better.

I like the block idea. Lots of decisions to be make
Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Master Builder

I appreciate everyone's help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB
when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
Thanks for checking for me, I'll get some ordered soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.
Not sure what your getting at in the above post stonecutter. ??

Quote:
Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.
I will clean the grove well, thanks for the info.

Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 08-09-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.
What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB
when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.
Ok I think I have this worked out in my head. Can't seem to draw it on paper with any clarity. But I Pulled the trigger and purchase steel stud material for dog house enclosure and a faux stucco chimney. I just didn't feel comfortable building a all brick chimney to extend above my screen enclosure. A brick layer I'm not. So faux it is. Although is has yet to be seen if I'm a stucco man.

Attaching steel studs on the side of the block stand may be a idea to explore, but I think I'll have enough room with sill place on top with adequate insulation.

Sorry Gulf, I know I said I was modeling my vent and chimney after yours, but your craftsmanship and brick laying skills far out way mine. I will though try to copy your oven landing in some way, with your blessing and guidance of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
David...... .................

KB

Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dsci0672.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dsci0677.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0169.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0170.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0172.jpg  

KB

Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
Gulf likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
mrchipster likes this.

Tags
chimney, flue