Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Ok great!!! Thanks Utah

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It is obviously too late for you now, but it is a good idea to slope the supporting slab down slightly to the outsides so water is not encouraged under the floor.
Dave,

I tried to slope this with my trowel after screeding. If I had to do it over again I would have started with a lower hearth pour and then added a 2" raise platform for the oven and landing to sit on. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Can't tell from the pics how tall the wall is, but if it is not too tall, I would think about a shed-style roof that runs from the top of the wall down to a short wall at the back of the slab, just to not be worried about leaks.
Dee,

The top of the oven dome is about 2" to 3" above the pool wall. A flat shed style roof is not a option at this point. Although raising the pool wall might be. I'm not sure how that would look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
A picture capturing the whole area would be a little more clear, I'm not seeing what is above the oven.
Stonecutter,

I like the idea with the Redgard. I looked it up online and they listed Home Depot as a distributor. I'm stopping by there after work hopefully they'll have it. Cutting a 1\8" groove around the oven also sound good.

Attached are some old pics with a further away perspective. When I remove and raise the temporary tarp structure, I'll try to take some better ones
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0064.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0006_copied.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0050.jpg  

KB

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Master Builder

New perspective pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn9803.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn9804.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn9805.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-dscn9810.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0010_copied.jpg  

My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0013.jpg  
brickie in oz and mrchipster like this.

KB

Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice, not long now to some fun times with the oven.....

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beautiful brick work, an oven to be proud of.

Great screened in pool area, no bugs....
Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would build block or frame the sides and build a shed roof almost exactly how your tarp is set up in picture #5....if you don't mind me saying.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB,

Long haul, and turned out very nice. Top notch brick work.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Guys,

Slowly but surely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I would build block or frame the sides and build a shed roof almost exactly how your tarp is set up in picture #5....if you don't mind me saying.
Stonecutter,

You've read my mind. After finishing the temporary enclosure I sat back for a look and the exact same thought came to mind. Something on the smaller and lower side though. Although I like the shade it provides. Winter time shade with the sun further south would probably be non existent. Still pretty warm in the sun during the winter, in Florida. Lower would be better.

I like the block idea. Lots of decisions to be make

Well started the vent stack.....I'm thinking three more courses them set clay flue on top. Any thoughts and suggest are appreciated.

Ps,
Temporary enclosure had a good test run today. All's dry.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0014.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0018_copied.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 08-08-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is 6 inch and 4 inch CMU behind my brickwork, it orked nicely for providing a solid fireproof platform fo my roof trusses. The 4 inch was used at the areas where the dome came closer to the wall so I could maintain my insulating layer thickness.

Above the CMU in the triangle area was cement board flush with the surface of the CMU. And then the brick venier goes to the eaves of the roof.

The roof trusses are welded 1.75x2.0 galvanized steel I-beams used for farm fencing.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB
when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Tags
chimney, flue