Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
That is something you should address with flashing or something. A sealer like the one I recommended won't keep standing water out for long and using a surface sealer won't help anything but absorption.

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be god if you take some perspective pictures...no marco shots....it's better to see the whole area.
I was thinking the same thing. How are you finishing the back of the oven? Igloo or housing? A housing will easily keep things dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Colin, not only am I slow to catch on I'm pretty sure I'm dyslexic. My original plan was the segmental arch. I thought you were asking me why I changed it to a semi circular arch. After rereading my explanation for the about 10th time and reading the other post I finally caught on. My apologizes again.

Attached picture with arch names and a good technical reading PDF
I think its me that needs to apologize and is being a little slow. I had the terms arse about. so you are doing the arch the same as your vent arches.....Sorry about that.

My Build -
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
That is something you should address with flashing or something. A sealer like the one I recommended won't keep standing water out for long and using a surface sealer won't help anything but absorption.

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be good if you take some perspective pictures...no macro shots....it's better to see the whole area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I was thinking the same thing. How are you finishing the back of the oven? Igloo or housing? A housing will easily keep things dry.
I'm planning on building a house type enclosure outside the pool wall and my screen enclosure. The gable end of the dome house enclosure will be against the back side of pool wall and chimney. I think I will be able to control water entering here with flashing, probably step flashing on the back side of chimney. Inside the pool enclosure will be the front and sides of chimney and oven landing with no roof over. This is where my area concern about water intrusion is.

My first priority right now is to set one section of flue pipe then modify my temporary tarp enclosure to allow me to fire the oven. The temporary enclosure will also allow me to insulated, build the permanent enclosure, construct the raised oven landing and the chimney to the point where it will exits the pool screen enclosure. at that point I should be able to remove the tarps and finish the additional height of chimney.

I will try to get some picture and some drawing posted later.

Thank a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
I think its me that needs to apologize and is being a little slow. I had the terms arse about. so you are doing the arch the same as your vent arches.....Sorry about that.
All's cool Colin, thanks for taking a interest.

KB

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be good if you take some perspective pictures...no macro shots....it's better to see the whole area.
Stonecutter,
Here are a couple of pictures to help you understand my puddling issue.#1pic: Any water pouring or dripping onto the hearth will come in contact with the floor insulation. #2pic shows: I have since rendered a 2" X 1/2"strip of mortar next too the insulation to help stop this. Although I'm sure over time it will crack. I'm thinking a bead of roof cement or something would be more permanent.

On the front of the oven I will be raising the hearth by a 4" pour which I intend to slant toward the front of oven. I hope this help clarify things.

Let me know if you need any different pics or drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0150.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0111.jpg  

KB

Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is obviously too late for you now, but it is a good idea to slope the supporting slab down slightly to the outsides so water is not encouraged under the floor.sometimes a crack will develop where the outside shell meets the supporting slab. It is a good idea to seal these up if they appear.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That mortar isn't going to stop any water, it's totally porous. but if you put a housing over it you will be fine. The tricky point is going to be where the housing meets the wall. If you go with a peaked roof, the point where it meets the pool wall is going to be a tricky flashing job. Can't tell from the pics how tall the wall is, but if it is not too tall, I would think about a shed-style roof that runs from the top of the wall down to a short wall at the back of the slab, just to not be worried about leaks.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Stonecutter,
Here are a couple of pictures to help you understand my puddling issue.#1pic: Any water pouring or dripping onto the hearth will come in contact with the floor insulation. #2pic shows: I have since rendered a 2" X 1/2"strip of mortar next too the insulation to help stop this. Although I'm sure over time it will crack. I'm thinking a bead of roof cement or something would be more permanent.

On the front of the oven I will be raising the hearth by a 4" pour which I intend to slant toward the front of oven. I hope this help clarify things.

Let me know if you need any different pics or drawing.
A picture capturing the whole area would be a little more clear, I'm not seeing what is above the oven.

As mentioned, the mortar won't keep moisture out for long. But, if the parge is completely bonded to the board then I have a suggestion. Get a hold of some RedGard and coat the mortar and the slab about 4" out from your oven footprint. I would take it a step further and score the slab about 1/8" deep so that the liquid membrane acts as 'flashing' and will essentially 'tuck' into the slab. This way you have waterproofed the insulation with something until you get the oven dried in and it is suitable to pour concrete on top....unlike most paint or tar based material.

RedGard TDS

I have used this product..it's user friendly and very good.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I want to repeat that your mortar parge should have a good and complete bond...the success of RedGard ( or any other brand of elastomeric membrane) depends on it. If there is any doubt, chip it off and redo it....it would have been better if it was portland cement instead of mortar, but it will work.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I used this stuff. It is ceramic fiber, has held up really well. No problems at all

Kaowool Caulk Details
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
KB,

I used Uni Extreme high temp caulk. It is made by McGill Air Seal and contains no hazardous stuff although it was used in an area that does not see food contact.
Wow, $43.85.... a tube for UNI-EXTREME VS Kaowool Caulk $19.50 a tube plus shipping. Is it that much better or is my quoted price out in left field?

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 08-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, I guess I got a deal, I bought 4 tubes of Uni Extreme at a surplus store for a buck a piece. I was grumbling about sending some of my surplus tubes to other WFOs at $5 for postage. Wish I had bought the whole case now. Oh well.

I go to this store every Friday and will scrounge around again. If they have anymore I will let you know.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Tags
chimney, flue