Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Laborer

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Bartman, I saw some sketches (I recall) on how you want to finish your enclosure, do you have any final drawings/ideas?

I might be in the market for a few ideas of my enclosure.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Thanks guys hope to plug her soon............The oven....Bruce just mortar on upper dome
Kbartman, great looking build. My dome in building up and curious if you have any advice on the upper courses? Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpringsOven View Post
Bartman, I saw some sketches (I recall) on how you want to finish your enclosure, do you have any final drawings/ideas?

I might be in the market for a few ideas of my enclosure.
Dana,
Haven’t finalized the enclosure plans, still teetering on the chimney, real brick or faux stucco. I guess I need to get the ironed out soon. My biggest concern with the real brick chimney, is keeping the water out. As tropical as it is here in Florida, keeping my oven and insulation dry, I believe is going to be an ongoing issue. My insulation is still wet from the soaking, I have had heat lamps below the hearth for quite a while and it is not drying out. I think a brick chimney maybe a challenge to keep it dry. I hope I’m able to get it dried out and keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Kbartman, great looking build. My dome in building up and curious if you have any advice on the upper courses? Bruce
Bruce,
Your build is an inspiration to me and others, keep up the good work. I think the biggest challenge is keeping each course as level and concentric and you are able. I think it helped simplify the upper courses and dome closing. I used a 1X2 stick that I cut and sanded to a point to check each course height. The point easily pushed thru any soft mortar on plywood floor. I marked a line on the stick at the inside top edge of brick, after I set the first few bricks of each course. Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing year next pictures and dome closing.

KB

Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Bruce,
Your build is an inspiration to me and others, keep up the good work. I think the biggest challenge is keeping each course as level and concentric and you are able. I think it helped simplify the upper courses and dome closing. I used a 1X2 stick that I cut and sanded to a point to check each course height. The point easily pushed thru any soft mortar on plywood floor. I marked a line on the stick at the inside top edge of brick, after I set the first few bricks of each course. Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing year next pictures and dome closing.
Thanks for the support. I really like the idea of the stick to keep the bricks level. It certainly is motivating as the dome takes shape and starts to close. Bruce

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Master Builder

Wow,
I haven't been around for awhile but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a thread this long! You must be doing something right!!!

dusty
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Peasant

It is a long thread but a good one! Im taking notes as I am still in the first legs of the journey.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Wow,
I haven't been around for awhile but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a thread this long! You must be doing something right!!!

dusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirobuggy View Post
It is a long thread but a good one! Im taking notes as I am still in the first legs of the journey.
Thanks Guys,
I was thinking this thread was the usual..........

Any way I'm thinking of buying this IR thermometer……..I need everyone’s opinion. Do you like it? Is the range high enough? If you know of a better one or better deal post the address, thanks all.

THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58¯ To +1022¯ F)

KB

Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Thanks Guys,
I was thinking this thread was the usual..........

Any way I'm thinking of buying this IR thermometer……..I need everyone’s opinion. Do you like it? Is the range high enough? If you know of a better one or better deal post the address, thanks all.

THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58¯ To +1022¯ F)
Specs are good with max temp over 1000 f and spot ratio 12:1. Don't know brand but reviews on site are all positive.

It's a few bucks cheaper at amazon.
ThermoTech TT1022 Non-Contact Digital Infrared Laser Tempature Thermometer - Amazon.com

This one has similar specs but much cheaper.

BAFX Products Non Contact Infrared (IR) Thermometer Range of -58F to 1, 022F Includes Battery: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Add an engraved heart to the plug and your will be golden with Julie...............She will be peeking inside the dome everytime it clears. Nice work
I plugged her today...... I took your advice Utah I'm golden. I used a three piece plug like yours Utah. Let the celebration begin…………….I’ll set the upper two pieces tomorrow. Thanks all for your support.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0105.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0107.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0109.jpg  

KB

Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Master Builder

yippy yi ho

KB

Tags
chimney, flue