Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
nice work on the monolithic arch pour.
Thanks, Utah
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Your tool should work just fine. The off set will be minimal - well within the tolerance of brickwork. How do you plan on venting outside of your netting? Those Florida bugs can get big and nasty...
The mosquitoes here in Florida are big enough to pick you up and carry you away, hence the screen enclosure. Brickieís bug spray does not stand a chance even if he emptied the whole can and threw it, they would only throw it backÖ..As far as the vent design, it is still a work in progress. I definitely would like to stay along the lines of my concept drawing. My original design was a brick chimney extending thru the enclosure. After estimating the weight of the chimney plus the additional weight of oven, I was concerned the oven stand might not support it. I opted for plan B, either insulated clay flue or a steel chimney double wall insulated liner, surrounded by steel stud Hardee board and stucco. The OD of the insulated steel chimney is 10Ē, which is bigger than the space I have in front of the top lintel in the wall surrounding my pool. I think Iím going with 2 clay 8 x 17 x 24 clay flue liner on top the front oven arch, then transition to a single wall stove pipe above the enclosure. Iím considering the screen enclosure as non flammable. Code requires that a chimney needs to extend 2ft above any roof within 10ft. Iím classifying the screen enclosure not a roof, and non combustible. Push comes to shove Iíll extend the single wall stove pipe the additional height and put a couple of guide wires on it. I would rather not; I like the looks of my concept drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0038.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0100.jpg  

Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Journeyman

Question Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Ok Guys,
I still fearing cutting that first brick.....Now after searching the posts and the different builds I'm all discouraged…. It looks like the consensus on floor insulation more is better. The 2 inches of ceramic fiber in the FB free plans is not enough. With the poured lintel beam above my oven, I can’t afford to raise the floor for the additional insulation……. I need some warm fuzzy encouragement……I’m off tomorrow I was hoping to get something accomplished this weekend…Do I bust out, trim the lintel, or forget about the additional insulation?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...uch-19082.html (Insulation: The more the merrier. But how much more?)

Last edited by kbartman; 03-16-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: added link about isulation
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Apprentice

I don't know how much room you really have to play with (clearance under your "lintel") or how tall you were planning to make the interior of your dome. Assuming that you have no "wiggle room" and were planning to make a hemispherical dome (i.e. 20" interior height) you could lower your dome height by an inch and still get away with a 12" entry height.

The extra inch of insulation might be all you need. I only have 2.5" of insulation under my floor and it works fine....but I wish I had more.

Regards,
AT
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bart,

Many builds have use 2 inches of insulation. You mention that you can't Afford to raise the floor. Is it a height or dollar issue? If height is a problem consider making a small stoop in front of the oven. If it's dollars you could always do a vermiculite / portland slab and put the board on that. Like I said, many have gone with 2 inch board and appear to be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Journeyman

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the help and info. Here is my plan for tomorrow. I really would like not to disturb the strength and integrity of the lintel. So I’ve decided to do what I always do when things seem so difficult, work on what I know, while I think about the rest.

1. I know I need all the room I can get between the lintel and the clay flue 8 x 17;(the smallest standard size I could get locally and cheap) which will sit in front of the oven so I’ll remove the 1/2 to 3/ 4 of existing stucco on the lentil. This will give me more room to insulate the clay flue and limit the protrusion of the chimney in to my limited oven landing.

2. Adding the additional insulation under the floor will increase the dome height. I’m already limited to about 2” between the inner arch and dome to the back side of the lintel. So I will trim some of the back side of the poured lintel and the existing stucco. This should keep the integrity of the lintel. Giving me more room to insulate the dome and the inner arch

3. While I work on that, I will think about where to set up my saw. Then I am going to lay out the brick in a herring bone pattern, and then I will ponder the oven floor. The dome will sit on the insulating FB board. The gap between the oven floor and the dome I’m unsure of, if it’s going to fill with ash; does it matter the size gap? I will also ponder insulated fire brick, and a thermal break in the outer arch and landing………so many questions…….. Do I start the dome soldier or sailor? Soldiers, sailors? How in the hell did they get that name? …….so confused……..LOL

4. Oh also need to revise my IT made it to long very little adjustment inward. I am thinking that having inward adjustment allows me to lower dome height by adjusting a specific amount each course. Would this work and be ok? This might just give me the additional room for extra isulation under the floor.

Last edited by kbartman; 03-14-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Do I start the dome soldier or sailor? Soldiers, sailors? How in the hell did they get that name?
Just lay your first 3 or 4 courses flat and forget about standing bricks upright.
Upright brickwork is inherently weak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Journeyman

K,
Thanks brickie....its way past my bed time in the land up above. Its probably morning in the land down under.... Thanks for checking out my post look foward to your future post.... good night.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its actually 4 pm here.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Journeyman

Hey Brickie, it's time for me to get up its about 6:30 am here. I hope I'm not the only one on this site that wakes up thinking about thier pizza oven.

Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Tags
chimney, flue