Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I'm using a square edge trowel about a 1 1\2" I bought a V type trowel also and haven't found it useful. I am using Demon High heat mortar a Premixed in 3 gal pail made by Plybricko. When I opened the pail the first time quite a lot of liquid was on top after mixing the consistency of maybe peanut butter but a lot more slippery. I found that in order to get a good bond on all surfaces was to apply a very thin layer of mortar to all joining surfaces first, then butter for thickness. I am shooting for 1/8” joints. Which to my surprise was the just about enough with very thin layer first applied. Carful on tapping brick this will affect the adjacent fresh lay of brick. A wiggle works best to squeeze out excessive mortar. I tightened the mortar joints on the next courses.

Ps. Soak bricks I was suprised of all the air coming out of the brick when placed in water.

Hope this helps
After working night shift the last few days, I did some inspections on the courses that already lay. I have been trying to keep the mortar moist as possible with spray bottle and water hose. The suppliers ask me if I understand the Demon mix was for tight joints under 1\4". Understood but thought I might get away with the joints between the courses being a little larger. I’m now not so sure.

Attached are some pics of the curing I think I will use the bevel scraps between the following courses any suggestions is appreciated.

The sides of the oven that get morning and afternoon sun shows signs of premature curing

Ps. The dreded Lovebug season has began.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0187.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0188.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0190.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0191.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0189.jpg  

My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0192.jpg  

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use the thinset pre made stuff and yes it will shrink in larger joints, just apply some over the cracks to fill when done.

Do the love bugs fly around your head saying "giza a kiss, go on, giza a kiss"...
Gulf likes this.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Do the love bugs fly around your head saying "giza a kiss, go on, giza a kiss"...
They are mostly too preoccupied for that . They are usually flying around in pairs Another name for them down here is "telephone bugs", because they usually just say "hello" and hang up

Check out Love Bugs here.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We get a similar bug here too, they swarm in their thousands, some of our neighbours resorted to spraying them, the bugs are totally harmless.

To demonstrate how harmless they are to the neighbours I picked up a big ball of the bugs, waited a second or two then let out a blood curdling scream, you should have seen the looks I got as they all ran away.....

Insect of the week: The Plague Soldier Beetle isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds | News @ CSIRO

Old 04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
As they say here, bugger.
Does this breed new meaning into the word "Bugger" Pun intended
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-untitled.jpg  

KB

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Journeyman

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Finding the spattered remains of the Lovebug eating away the finish of your brand new truck. “Bugger”
I suspect the Soldier beetle finds roots in the saying “Bugger”……..some of us up hear in the land above are not so refined.”!$#$#@&%*@&%”………..LOL

KB

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Journeyman

looking good ...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Is this workable with no center keystone? Just the way it worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0196.jpg  

KB

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Keystones are for looks more than anything else.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Master Builder

That may change once you get mortar in there.

Tags
chimney, flue

« Total cost | - »