Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Bruce,
By the looks of your pics on your thread I notice you may have used a wooden pizza peel to check your joints. I simulated a metal peel with my square edged trowel. I read that the wooden peels are used mainly for placing pizzas. The heat takes a toll on them. A metal peel may catch more.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Bruce,
By the looks of your pics on your thread I notice you may have used a wooden pizza peel to check your joints. I simulated a metal peel with my square edged trowel. I read that the wooden peels are used mainly for placing pizzas. The heat takes a toll on them. A metal peel may catch more.
Good point. Actually I also used a short handled metal peel and it also didn't catch. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Spent some time building a arch template. Have the two sides cut out just need to add the spacers and put them together.

Check out my pictures here:

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Good point. Actually I also used a short handled metal peel and it also didn't catch. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Spent some time building a arch template. Have the two sides cut out just need to add the spacers and put them together.
Try to place the spacers to allow you to clean the mortar that may squeeze out. Something I did not do. It is easy to clean the mortar joints and brick face with a damp sponge while the mortar is still setting up. If you wait to clean it up after you remove the arch. You will either chisel or live with it
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0178.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-26-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added pic and spelling
Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Try to place the spacers to allow you to clean the mortar that may squeeze out. Something I did not do. It is easy to clean the mortar joints and brick face with a damp sponge while the mortar is still setting up. If you wait to clean it up after you remove the arch. You will either chisel or live with it
Would it work to put a plastic sheet under the template?

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

I just realized I’m and now a apprentice……. Yippy…… my multiple post have push some of my questions far back in my posts…….I will try to reposts later…………… Again I cannot thank everyone enough for helping with your comments and suggestion keep posting.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Would it work to put a plastic sheet under the template?
I don't see how. I figure I have two options build the arch all at once and remove the support while motar is still damp then clean the mortar out, or revise my arch support

KB

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
I don't see how. I figure I have two options build the arch all at once and remove the support while motar is still damp then clean the mortar out, or revise my arch support
I was able to clean the joint after I discovered my folly, with a screw driver and a damp rag not sure about the next joint.

KB

Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
I thought the mortar was falling through the template to the floor. Still not sure the area you are referring to.

I lost track of where you are in your build. Any recent pic? Bruce

Old 04-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Now I understand the battens holding you arch guide are not allowing you to clean the mortar from the face of the brick against the guide. So what mods move the battens obviously ..... If you removing the guide consider cutting out someof the face with a jigsaw might make it easier to access. Particularly for the top bricks
Hope this helps
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Journeyman

Guys,
Here are a couple of pics.

The first shows the arch support/template and a temporary layout to determine brick cuts. The second is after I cut the plywood face to clean the joints and brick face.

Only after I set the next course of bricks did I realize my 2x6 spacers were too close to the sides to allow easy cleaning. The areas of concern are on the lower sides and top. The sides I was able to clean the first joint with a screw driver and rag. The next course will prove further ingenuity. The one on the top I feel after I set the last 3 arch bricks I can remove the support and clean. I considered moving the side 2x6 spacers but thought I just may be able to squeak by. I spent a considerable amount of time installing and leveling the support arch I would not like to have a do over

Thanks for your comments and suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0166.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0178.jpg  

KB

Tags
chimney, flue