Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Please post some pics of the board so we can determine what we are dealing with.
Al,
Not sure you can see everything. I hope this helps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
fiber board purchased from FB has some inconsistencies in thickness. After trying a notched trowel approach…….. Decided to spread fireclay no sand on all joints to the level out inconsistences.

Pic #1: Worst area around dome. Level held level showing about 1/8" of compression. I wanted to make sure the joints were tight so I set the board against the others by firmly tapping along the joints and sides with the scrap wood before securing to stand floor assuring no movement while setting the floor.

Pic#2: Shows floor insulation installed. My biggest concern was the front left corner. Notice the small pieces. This was my worst joint. While trying to even out the joint, I may have over work the area. Causing loss of the original compression and swelling of board. Which I believe should back compress evenly.

Pic#3: Shows the #2 area after bricks set on for a while.

Pic#4: Shows typical area of the board after brick set very little compression, maybe 1/16” but brick will rock as explained in previous post.

Pic#5&6: Shows a fireclay slurry to help smooth out joints.

I think my biggest mistake was over working the board.
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0186.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0148.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0185.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0182.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0149.jpg  

My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0150.jpg  

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbartman; 04-25-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Journeyman

Looks like you are not cutting the board to match the dome. Must be nice not having to mess with cutting it to shape. I decided to cut the boards to conform with the dome. Figured I would be able to extend the blanket down to the slab and fully insulate the dome. After cutting the board, not sure it was worth it. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Bruce,
No I have'nt read your first thread I will though. I got to gets some sleep today I'm working nights. Funny you should mention sink holes. How about giving me a warm fat fuzzy on this one. While cutting the pool deck floor for the foundation I discover a void beneath the concrete slab about 8" X 2'. At the time, I contributed to improper fill around the pool when install 1970 I figure. I filled it in and moved on. Then yesterday I notice a few old step cracks in the wall surrounding the pool. Is my build doomed for failure from bad insulation or a sink hole........ I sure need some warm fat fuzzies. Off to bed wish me sweet dreams....LOL

Bruce,
Could not sleep woke up to nightmare, my oven and I falling in the sinkhole. .......... IF you don’t hear from me in while send someone to check on me........LOL....... I hate night shift. Body always wants to be up during the day even when exhausted.

To answer your question, yes still plan on cutting the floor insulation around dome...... As fragile as the insulation is I did not want it crumbling around the dome walls loosing support around the edge I thought I would have a tighter seal between the blanket and board if I cut it later.

KB

Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Journeyman

Sorry about the nightmare, still think the meteor is the real threat. On the other hand looks like I posted too soon regarding the biosoluble board. I emailed Skyline and within a few hours they replied that the compressive strength of the ceramic fiber board is 0.3MPa. This compares to .5 MPa of their comparable CF board. I am going to start trimming floor brick and deal with this issue once that is done. I think I have enough scape pieces of the CF board to replace the biosoluble. Glad I caught this now and not when well into building the dome. Try to get some sleep. I wonder how homeowner's insurance deals evaluates cost of DIY WFO. Regards, Bruce

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bruce,

When you get done trimming the Ca Sil to where you want, take your leftover mortar as you lay your bricks and render the sides of the Ca Sil board. The mortar will keep the Ca Sil from getting damaged, broken, dented while you do your dome.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Journeyman

UtahBeehiver,
I responded on my thread. Bruce

Believe it or not I just did the same thing. I am cross posting to keep continuity of content on by thread. Kbartman, sorry to be cluttering your thread. Bruce

Last edited by Bec1208; 04-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

When you get done trimming the Ca Sil to where you want, take your leftover mortar as you lay your bricks and render the sides of the Ca Sil board. The mortar will keep the Ca Sil from getting damaged, broken, dented while you do your dome.
Sounds like good advice. If the material stays in place I will do this.

I tried calculating the lbs per sq. inch placed on the board below the perimeter brick. I expected the result to be low, but not as low as I calculated and this was with higher then expected dome weigh. In addition at least some of the load will be transferred to the remaining board. I hope someone checks my math.

I used the following formula and values:
Weight of dome (estimated to be 2000 lbs)/Area of space between inner and outer perimeter of bricks
The first value was ((pi x 22 squared) - (pi x 18 squared))=503 sq inches
So 2000/503=4 lbs per sq inch.

Really doesn't sound like much. According to a conversion site on the web, .3 is about 44 psi and .5 is about 73 psi.

I found this definition of MPa in connection with material compression strength:

bonehead...
MPa is one million pascals.

A pascal, Pa, is one newton per square meter (N/m^2)

So a MPa is one million newtons per square meter.

"In material strength, it represents how much stress (force per cross sectional area) that a material can withstand without breaking/rupturing/stretching or whatever other criteria you use for failure."
What is MPa stand for when it comes to material strength? - Yahoo! Answers

Anyone comment who has experience with this issue. Thanks, Bruce

Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

Thanks Bruce for the conversion. Did you use the ceramic fiber board or is it the cal sil board? I made the mistake of calling my board ceramic fiber board. Mine is Alumina Silicate
board.

Utahbeehiver,

I thought about putting mortar around the bottom like yours. I had some very small pudding of water on top the stand, which I drilled drainage holes in middle of them, thinking water could be trapped. Wondering if the mortar around it might trap water also

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-25-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Thanks Bruce for the conversion. Did you use the ceramic fiber board or is it the cal sil board? I made the mistake of calling my board ceramic fiber board. Mine is Cal sil.
I have one layer all CF and lower level has one section of Cal sil. Bruce

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Sorry, no warm fuzzy feelings to offer.
The FB board means Forno Bravo board which is actually a Calcium Silicate board and doesnt compress nearly as much as Ceramic Fibre board.
Ceramic Fibre board will compress to nearly nothing with enough weight and time.
What is CF? I edited the post I checked the spec sheet mine is Alumina Silicate
board.........I'm confused

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-25-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added quote

Tags
chimney, flue