Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Would butter or lard be acceptable or would it create a cholesterol problem?

Chris
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Gudday
Sorry above my pay grade .....please consult your physician

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And dont forget the Vegemite.....

Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Master Builder

Talking Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I think I'm going to stay cholesterol free on this build. Although it sticks to the veins, I don't think it would contribute very well to any bonding characteristics the fire clay may have.

What do you think of a teaspoon of fire clay in our morning coffee? ………. What lard may do to the fireclay, just might have the same effect on the cholesterol………..Look all the money we would save on our Lipitor…

As per FB spec sheet, I think a little water on the CB will do the trick.

KB

Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Master Builder

Ok guys I really value everyone’s opinion I appreciate all the help. I have the next 4 days off and hope to get a lot accomplished. Today’s goal is set the floor on sand fire clay and start the first courses of brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I assume you mean depth? you want it to project maybe an inch beyond your dome at the bottom. At the top it will probably be 3-4 inches.

Once you set where you want the face of the arch to be, that dictates the depth if you are building it the way Russel, John, Amac, myself and others did.
Attachment 34866
Deejayoh, I really like the photo of your inner arch. Looking at the photo it looks like the first 3 courses and were laid then the arc of the dome began. Does the spread sheet incorporate your initial wedge?

I attach dome calculator spread sheets:

The first is a 2.5” soldier, my original thoughts.

The second is 6.5” soldier my perception of yours.

Did I put the data in correctly?

The length of the IT and dome height changed. Could I still keep my original dome height the same, or would that complicate things?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pompeii dome 2.5 header v2.pdf (211.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: pdf Pompeii dome 6.5 header v2.pdf (211.4 KB, 81 views)

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-19-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Butter was not an option after the heavy rains last night. Had a pretty successful day, set the oven floor and lay the first course…….My first attempt on the oven floor was not to my standards, tried sand fireclay with notched trowel…….unsuccessful…… tried for the consistency of thin set ……. The ceramic Fiber board could not handle the notched trowel. Unable to level floor do to the ceramic fiber breaking up as notched trowel spread fire clay. The ceramic fiber board purchased from FB has some inconsistencies in thickness. After trying a notched trowel approach…….. Decided to spread fireclay no sand on all joints to the level out inconsistences. Used flat trowel to spread fireclay and level as needed..... Worked pretty good ………..floor turned out ok but….next time I will spend the extra money and purchase a high quality board........... I was tempted to place a ˝” layer of Hardee board to deal with the inconsistencies of the cheap board.I was wondering if someone had tried that. The spec sheets For Hardee board says it is flame retardant.

Attached some pics of the progress.
Feel free to post I need the help.

Ps
night fall has arrived
Attached Thumbnails
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0078.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0149.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0151.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0152.jpg   My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-sspx0156.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-20-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For next time....It is much easier to screed the sand/fireclay mixture and get a very flat surface than to hand trowel...unless you have a lot of experience.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
The ceramic Fiber board
Wont it compress with the oven weight?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Master Builder

Cool Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Thanks for the advice.

My experience with notched trowel and thin set was on ceramic flooring on a bath room remodel. Worked out much better. I considered pouring and screeding, but did not want to lose my layout lines.

Brickie not sure what you’re asking. Compression of the fiber board is a concern of my. I just hope everything compresses evenly. I already have uneven compression in the oven landing, and somewhat of a crown in the oven floor as the weight of the dome walls grow. I think something as firm and as flat as Hardee board would allow a more even compression.

When researching Ceramic fiber board I found a product made by Unifrax, much denser board and precisely flat. Next time I'll spend the extra money. I just hope floor failure and dome cracking do to compression, is not in my future.

Thanks all,
Keep posting

KB

Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I already have uneven compression in the oven landing, and somewhat of a crown in the oven floor as the weight of the dome walls grow.
As they say here, bugger. Its already compressing, not sure how much it will compress.
I thought ceramic fibre board was only good for hot face work with no load.

How far have you got with the oven?

Tags
chimney, flue