Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Ok guys, I'm considering renaming this thread Pompeii oven for dummies. Inner arch, what is the minimum and maximum thickness?……I liked Beehiver’s interlocking bevels tying the dome course to the inner arch.
Ok guys I'm the dummy didn't mean to offend you all keep posting..... I need the help......... No one responded to the last post of mine.

Haven’t' had any time to work on the oven the last few weeks....... Spent some family time fishing with the family..... then with the forced outage at work..... seven twelve's finally over…………. I had time to cut out that lintel today... Now maybe I’ll make some progress

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Quote:
Inner arch, what is the minimum and maximum thickness?
I assume you mean depth? you want it to project maybe an inch beyond your dome at the bottom. At the top it will probably be 3-4 inches.

Once you set where you want the face of the arch to be, that dictates the depth if you are building it the way Russel, John, Amac, myself and others did.
My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida-415900_3442594740070_620169088_o.jpg

Last edited by deejayoh; 04-13-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Master Builder

Yes I did mean depth.... So if I started at 1" beyond dome wall at the bottom....I should be less the 1 full brick 9" at the top with a 4.5" dome wall......I was concerned it would be more than 1 brick at the top.....Looking at your picture it looks like it should be less than 1 brick, although yours looks like your dome has a few courses of level bricks before your began your dome. Looks like I may need to play a little more with my IT to confirm if I start the dome after the first course…… Thanks for your input…… like they say a your picture is worth a thousand words .

KB

Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

check out oasisdcm's latest post. He's at the same place as you and has good pictures about the process

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...tml#post150234 (new build in werribee)

Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Master Builder

Thanks "D" ....Question: 10” brick saw blade how long did your last? I seem to have lost about a ½ “of the saw blade already, and it is flexing when starting at the edge of the brick. I’ve been helping the blade to stay true at the beginning of the cut by holding a scrap wedge against the blade to stop the flexing. It seems to be getting worse.

KB

Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think I went through 3 blades for my build. First one lasted maybe 4 or 5 courses? Last one I used for the veneer and all the clinker brick trim and it still has a little life in it.

But, it depends on your brick. I think mine might be light duty which is easier on blades.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are pushing too hard or not using enough water. The blade should not flex, and it should only have 3/8" to 1/2" of segments to start. A good 10" diamond blade will cost a hundred bucks or more, and one designed to cut firebrick will make thousands of cuts.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use 1 blade per build.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I should note I used the HF blades, which only cost about $25 after discounts. I might have used one blade if I hadn't had to recut so many things...

Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I seem to have lost about a ½ “of the saw blade already, and it is flexing when starting at the edge of the brick. I’ve been helping the blade to stay true at the beginning of the cut by holding a scrap wedge against the blade to stop the flexing. It seems to be getting worse.
The blade is bent and will wobble for ever.

Good blades cost good money, when you buy a blade make sure that you can see the diamond particles in the matrix otherwise you are wasting your money.

A processional brick cutter I used to use when I was bricklaying used to spend $600 per 16" blade, you can buy the same sized blade for $50 but its a throw away job.

Tags
chimney, flue