Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: My 32" oven build has begun

I'd look at something like this: High Temperature, Heat & Flame Resistant Wire Jacketed Fiberglass Kiln Door Seal Gasket
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is the stuff that is readily available in Melbourne, good to 1000c, more than enough for a WFO.
Attached Thumbnails
My 32" oven build has begun-ceramicrope.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Dear OscarA

Checked your photos out..... and it looks like you have left an open space in top of your arch to serve as as smoke chamber right? Then the smoke should linger in that till it exits up the chimney and not out into your face.
Its an advantage to have a large entrance way...too deap or too narrow makes it hard to tend to the oven.
By the way like the idea of the insulation break between the oven and entrance. I know now it was brickie in oz's idea so good research I'm sticking that in the ideas book for the next oven I get to build.

Regards
Dave
Hi Dave, you are right about the smoke chamber most builds seem to have it as it does help with the smoke going out the chimney not the front.
I got the space between arch idea from this forum but can't remember who did it. I'm not sure if it'll make a big difference or not but as it was easy enough to do I figured why not play it safe.
As for the large entrance I think it gives the oven a nicer look and makes it easier to use the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
That is a great product but I'm not sure it'll suit my needs but thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
This is the stuff that is readily available in Melbourne, good to 1000c, more than enough for a WFO.
I do like the rope idea but I think I'll go with the vermiculite instead as I think it'll have a nicer finish and still be effective.
I do like the rope and might grab some to put on a door if the door doesn't sit flush against the oven.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I think I'll go with the vermiculite instead as I think it'll have a nicer finish.
Vermiculite concrete generally has a crumbly exterior. If you can float it smooth, you may have too much cement in it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Vermiculite concrete generally has a crumbly exterior. If you can float it smooth, you may have too much cement in it.
I had thought about that and was thinking of filling the gaps with vermiculite then sealing it in with home brew mortar. I realise it might crack but I'll see how I go.

Here's a pic of where I'm at now with the outer arch. It's taken me 2 days (2hrs a day) to do this much so it's a slow process but that's ok.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Getting thin bricks to look good is actually harder than full sized bricks, youve done well.
Have an elephant stamp.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the stamp brickie.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oscar,
Your decorative outer arch bricks look very much the same in size, My 32" oven build has begun-pa110233.jpg

My 32" oven build has begun-pa100219.jpgas those used by the Ancient Romans. Here are some pics of similar brick arches in Pompeii we visited last year. Because the bricks are thin like yours they didn't bother to taper them at all. We saw lots of these bricks used in combination with all kinds of other stone.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I use a 5;1 vermicrete mix which seems to work ok, enough cement in it to hold the vermiculite together, but still has some flexibility.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check the K values (R values are a reciprocal of these) of varying strengths of vermiculite concrete.
Vermiculite Insulating Concrete--The Schundler Company

I would consider using lime instead of cement as a binder because of its elastic properties, but it"s way harder on the skin of your hands.

Last edited by david s; 03-21-2011 at 04:40 AM.