Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Thanks for the tip.
There is one neighbour I worry about as everytime I do a BBQ smoke heads towards their decking the wind seems to go that way most of the time.
They know I'm building the oven and are fine but a little curious about the size of it as my stand looks huge. The other day she asked me if I was planning on feeding the neighborhood. I showed her the template of the oven floor when she jumped in and said that's right the walls are really thick aren't they That gave me the impression she knows a little about WFO's. I'll do the right thing and warn them about the initial firing and let them know the smoke is because of the wet oven and will be minimal once the oven is dried.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Apprentice

Hi Oscar... looks like a great start. i built a 36", with a full brick soldier course and my dome "grew" to just under 21". my door opening ratio is .57 which is smaller than the recommended .63, but it draws fine. once the oven is curred, you can start fires fairly quickly (i use a small propane torch), and smoke won't be an issue
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Peasant

all of the above are great recommnedations....I built a 42" and let me tell you....the extra room is great for temperature management...and baking large things like pigs and turkey....which believe me ...you will want to do. One thing that I have discovered is to reaaly heat the oven up for more than the 90 minutes even though the temperature is right. Then le ti cool down... The reason is that the temperature of the floor hold up better for making a lot of pies. It is saturated thru ... I can go 10 pie without having to reheat floor and yet I wont burn the top of the pies because the required fire to keep it up is not that large, one last thing.....I recommend moving the cloths line in the picture before your first fire LOL....
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Stonylake and Bigred.
I'm now going 36" visually it's not much larger than 32" but the extra room should make the oven easier to cook in. In reality 32" is all I'll need 95% of the time but if larger is easier and I have the space then it's a no brainer.

Quote:
I recommend moving the cloths line in the picture before your first fire LOL....
The cloths line is being replaced with a more compact line in a different location, lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Generally the larger the oven, the greater will be the mass and the volume of the interior, which in turn will translate to higher fuel consumption. "What you gain on the roundabout, you lose on the swing"
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Apprentice

A few more pics, the build has been a little slow with ups and downs but so far so good.

Below is the base of the oven, I have used Hebel blocks and silica board.
The blocks are 600mm long x 200m wide x 100mm thick and the silica board is 25mm thick. This should be more than enough insulation for the oven floor.

Now for the oven floor itself. It's as level as I can get it. I used fireclay mixed with sand spread out evenly and laid the bricks as level as I could.
The bricks have been cut using an angle grinder, bolster and hammer due to my drop saw blade going blunt after only two cuts. I wasn't prepared to pay big bucks for a decent 350mm blade so the angle grinder will be used to finish the oven.
It'll look rough but once finished everything is hidden so who cares.
I have mortared some of the sides as some of the cuts are small and this will help hold things together.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oscar,

Great floor insulation config. Can't wait to see the dome build.

John
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

I'm on the second chain now.
It's fiddly and time consuming but rewarding when you see it start to take shape.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Peasant

I would recommend one thing....if you can still access the two side towers at the entrance I would remove the 90 degree angle that the two tower lower courses makes with the oven opening...make this follow the curvature of the inside of the oven. The reason being that it will allow the ashes to be removed easier if the towers are tappered at their bases to the opening. I think I may havea picture on my gallery of the way I did mine.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Peasant

here is the link

PhotoPlog - Vent and Chimney