Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Hi Dave, sorry for the late reply.

Yes I did leave the oven off centre so I could have a work area but it's not going to be as wide as I wanted. When I first designed the stand I had the intention of a 32" oven going on it but as I upgraded to a 36" that's 4" I lost on the width of the work area. The width is now about 10" so adequate to have mixing bowls, trays etc and the preparation can be done to the right of the oven which has a usable work space. Ideally I would have loved 14-16" but compromised it for the larger oven size.
That's what's great about the internet you can post up your pics to give other people ideas and get ideas from other pics posted.
This build has come to a stop due to weather and work which is frustrating but hopefully I can string a few days together soon.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Dear OscarA
Hows things down south? pretty bloody cold up this way... we havnt had a winter like this for a long time. Ran out a dry wood and resorted to picking up limb falls from the side of the road. Works for me and the dog loves to come. Takes about 1/2 hour to collect about a barrow worth which il burn for the standard 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Got lucky and a bloke up the street pulled down a fence he reconed come with the house...50 yrs old at least. Great burning stuff he even cut it to 300 mm (12in ) lenghts and tied it into bundles. Got about 2mtrs of fence....but bet the bastard the other 6 didn't drop of a hot pizza

Regards Dave
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Apprentice

Hi Dave

Sorry for the late response the oven and I are both been in hibernation.
I haven't worked on the oven in a few months due to the cold and wet weather. I have a tarp wrapped over it to keep it as dry as I can but I'm sure some water is making it's way in. I have 4 weeks of in September so that'll be when the oven finally gets finished. It's been a long build which shouldn't have taken so long but no regrets. My yard is a mess I have all this fire wood stacked up along the side of the house and the area around the oven looks like a work site. My wife has been calm about it all but if it stays that way after the the 4 weeks off god help me.
We keep having people commenting on how lucky we are to have a wood oven. I can't remember if I had mentioned it before but my wife was against the idea at first but now looks forward to seeing it finished. She even commented on it being to high for her until I showed her it wasn't which made her smile.
I'll keep this thread updated when I finally start working on the oven.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok...its Sept.....you out of hibernation yet? I'm in trouble with the child bride at the moment as I havn't finished the kitchen yet....

Regards Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Apprentice

Hi Dave

I have now started my holidays so this week will be spent relocating the clothes line. Put the line up first then finish the oven otherwise trouble

I will also be camping in Apollo Bay for 3 nights from Thursday so the oven will need to wait one more week before I get stuck back in to it.

It'll get done as I don't want to hear "I told you so" from my wife and father in law.
I have a habit of leaving jobs half done but not this time. The only thing that stalled me was the cold and wet weather. Spring is here now and cooking in the oven is something I'm looking forward to with the warmer weather coming.

Last edited by OscarA; 09-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

Well I have now rendered the oven and boy am I proud of the way it's turning out.
I Used reinforcing fibers in the render/stucco mix which made it a little hard to work with. Because of that I mixed small amounts which made it easier.

The render was done in two layers, first layer was basically a thin layer covering the vermiculite so the shape is a little uneven. The second layer had the fibers in it and was thicker. I estimate it was anywhere from 15mm thick to 50mm so I can get that nice round shape. I aloud roughly 5 days between layers.

Here are some pics

Render mixed in small lots

You can see the reinforcing fibers in the mix

Second layer being applied.

First layer only, you can see how uneven it looks.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

More pics, the second layer is all finished and the result isn't to bad.
Not perfect but not to bad.

View from the left

View from the right

Front view and yes the flue is slightly of center

All I have to do now is -

- water proof the dome
- get a cowl for the flue
- make a door for the oven
- tile the top of the stand/bench area
- do a tile border around the stand edge
- Make a door for the stand storage area left side only/ right side will be exposed and storage for wood.
- Make shelves
- render stand/concrete blocks
- acid wash brick arch

What have I forgotten, oh yeah make pizza's the rest of this stuff can wait.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: My 32" oven build has begun

Dear Oscar
Well what can I say......Well Done!....you should be proud.. thats a mighty fine piece of oven.

Enjoy
Regards Dave
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Thanks dave

The build was more labor intensive than I thought and there where times I wasn't sure how to progress to the next stage which admittedly slowed me down a lot.
Sometimes you can over think something to the point where it frightens you so you put it off and the build stalls. How am I going to do the arch and flue, how will it look once render goes on and so on. In the end the flue and render where the easier parts of the build.
Overall I'm very happy with the result and although there are imperfections the fact is I built it and it'll work.

Thanks for you support and encouragements Dave
That also goes to David s, Karangi dude, Brickie and everyone who has posted a pic or post on this site. I have read so much of it and without this site i would never of attempted such a build.

Oscar
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oscar,
Looking great. Just one thing, if you want to make that outer shell stronger, then cover it for a week. I find the easiest way is to wrap clingvwrap around and aroundvthebwhole thing. When they make ferrocement boats they talk about 28 damp days and keep it moist for that long. A week will increase the strength substantially.