Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mortar vent arch?

Maybe you are mixing the mortar too wet? Wet brick + wet mortar is not good.

In my experience, the home brew mortar should hold pretty firm once the brick is set. Hold it for a few seconds and shouldn't move after that. I'm at a 70 degree angle in my dome, and still able to set the bricks with no form and have them stick. I am hopeful that I won't need any support except for the last chain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
the three i had mortared down shifted because of the bump and they were laid about 4 hours after it happened,
That I would say is normal - 4 hours after mortaring it would still be very easy to disturb a mortared brick. I don't have an exact time for how long it takes = there are so many variables that there probably is no definite time - but personally I would not put more than a tiny sideways pressure on any bricks for a long time - certainly a day or days - preferably weeks.
Test mortar a few off cuts together - and try to break the joints at different time intervals. It should give you an idea for your conditions.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Laborer

ok great thanks for the input guys i am going to give another couple days then take it from there,,once again thank you all..

Picasa photo library:

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Laborer

Thanks tscarborough...

Picasa photo library: