Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   From mixing concrete to mixing pizza dough (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/mixing-concrete-mixing-pizza-dough-16618.html)

trapper 08-25-2011 12:40 PM

From mixing concrete to mixing pizza dough

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I finally had the first pizza party using my freshly cured WFO last Saturday...amazing results.

I have been lurking more than posting in the past few months and now I am ready to show what I've been doing.
I build the 42" Pompeii as per the FB instructions. Last year I build the foundation, block wall and hearth. This year I built the dome on top of 2" of FB board. The dome was covered with 4" of KAOL wool and the voids filled with vermiculite. I finished the enclosure using cement board on the walls and poured a concrete roof to keep it weather tight. Next year I will finish the outside using field stone or faux stone to get that stone house look.

I started curing the oven using the 7 fire regime and quickly opted for the propane method after the second fire. Using a propane tiger tourch I kept the oven temp at 190F for 18 hours then started raising it by 50F every 4 to 6 hours until I got to 700F. I highly recommend this method.

last Friday when I got to my camp (that's where I build the oven) I light a big-azz fire. The chimney drew well and the oven heated up nicely. The following day I light another big-azz fire to get ready for the first pie. The first pizza cooked in less than two minutes with a floor temp of 650F. The next morning (Sunday) the oven was 400F we had to cool it down before we baked some cinnamon buns. The following Tuesday evening I poured a concrete cap at the top of the chimney and the oven was still warm with a floor temp of 180F!! three days after the fire:D.

I made most of my own oven tools and will post some photos next chance I get.

Thanks everyone out there I couldn't have done this without reading the information and advice from your posts.

Cheers

mrchipster 08-25-2011 01:15 PM

Re: From mixing concrete to mixing pizza dough

Your photos are tiny, could you post a larger version?

Chip

Aegis 08-26-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchipster (Post 119675)
Your photos are tiny, could you post a larger version?

Chip

GREAT JOB AND MANY congrats are in High order! I thought I smelled a good pizza cooking the other day!

Larger pics are a must now! ;)

Good luck on great food with wonderful friends and family!

trapper 08-26-2011 06:00 AM

Thanks guys,

Yes the pic size is what was delaying me from posting some of my construction pictures. All of the pics I took are 1.2MB and can't figure out how to reduce them to a good size to post. I tried cropping them but it did not reduce it down to a suitable size. Any suggestions?

Aegis 08-26-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper (Post 119716)
Thanks guys,

Yes the pic size is what was delaying me from posting some of my construction pictures. All of the pics I took are 1.2MB and can't figure out how to reduce them to a good size to post. I tried cropping them but it did not reduce it down to a suitable size. Any suggestions?

If you picture program allows image resize then use 800 pixels by 600 pixels in what ever direction the picture was taken. i.e. a horizontal picture would be 800x600 a vertical picture would be 600x800 Horizontal meaning the longest side is horizontal____________________________ as in this line.

trapper 08-26-2011 11:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay...I think I got the picture resizing thing figured out...thanks for the help.

I'm off now to camp to spark up a fire so i can bake bread tomorrow morning then pizza for dinner.....ribs on Sunday..Ooooh..ya:cool:

Lburou 08-26-2011 08:54 PM

Congratulations!

Glad to see you have the requisite hydration handy ;)

Those temperatures are right in line with my oven. :)

I'm learning that the residual heat can be shifted several hours by building a small fire after pizza, letting it burn down, and then placing an insulated door over the entrance. It shifts that 180 F point at least twelve hours, extending useful cooking times that much too.

Well done.

brickie in oz 08-27-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapper (Post 119716)
Any suggestions?

PIXresizer - Download :rolleyes: