Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Deleted my post after I saw your last damper post with pics.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Deleted my post after I saw your last damper post with pics.....
Sorry Al,
I was a liitle slow in posting due to the limited amount of pics for post criteria. By the way, Thank's for the free book. I don't know if I can eat anything cooked from a sheep but if "WalleyWorld" sells it I promise you that I will try it

Joe

Old 01-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I don't know if I can eat anything cooked from a sheep
Ok, now Im intrigued as to why?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Apprentice

Looks good
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Ok, now Im intrigued as to why?
I can't really explain it Al.
I grew up eating things that make would many people puke IE: chitterlings, squirrel heads , catfish eggs' frog legs etc.. The list goes on. I had never eaten coon (raccoon). I was at work one Sunday in a penitentiary in MS. and the Lt. brought in a coon for the inmates to cook. They all said it was great and cooked to perfection (paraphrased) I took one bight and it I seemed like forever before I was able to swallow. Many years later me and the wife were on a cruise and I took a slice of "leg o' lamb" from the buffet. It was a little pink in the middle. Just the way I love cow (beef). I had the same experience. I am not sure if it is what a person was raised to eat or not the correct preparation of the dish which figures into this equation. A similar experience was with tame rabbit. Those which are pen raised for human consumption. I had eaten wild rabbit all of my life. I had seen these bunnies all different colors in my brother-in-laws pens. When they were placed in front of me (fried to perfection) I could not eat. I will say this though. I am sure that if I had been truly hungry on each of these occasions it would have had a different outcome.

Last edited by Gulf; 01-29-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It was threatening to rain today, so I planned (with what time I had) to work on the oven around that. I set a set some speed poles to take the chimney 24" above the damper assembley. I cut and dry stacked another five rows.
Maybe tomorrow
abettio likes this.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Apprentice

Looking great! Sure has been a mild winter in the South.

Two questions...
I see a layer of cured mortar (3/8" thick or so) on the top layer. Why did you do that? How thick is the mortar to bond the next layer of brick?
I'm not to my chimney yet but want to benefit from others.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
Looking great! Sure has been a mild winter in the South.

Two questions...
I see a layer of cured mortar (3/8" thick or so) on the top layer. Why did you do that? How thick is the mortar to bond the next layer of brick?
I'm not to my chimney yet but want to benefit from others.
Thanks,
Jeff
Thank's Jeff,
I think you are referring to what I call my damper sandwich. If so, what looks like mortor is actually a porcelain tile which has had the glazing ground off for better bonding.

PS: I have been following your build. Looks great! I also did an arched entry under the hearth. I haven't wrecked the forms yet to see how it turned out, but that will be happening soon I think

Last edited by Gulf; 02-05-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: PS:
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I finished the runs above the damper today. I started out by placing some card board and a layer of sand to protect the damper below from the inevitable droppings.
Sorry about the blurry pic. It was the only on I took
I had figured enough room to lay the supports for the cap. Had them set and cleaned. I knocked two of them loose while taking down the speed poles though

I took them all down and will strap the speed poles to the corners minus the spacer board at the top, the next time that I get to play.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have prebuilt a cap using the same principle as the damper sandwich

It is in two sections, allowing me to build the thing in the shed and then set it in place on the scaffold. It is a lot easier when you are close to the saws saving many climbs up and down form the scaffold.

I had hoped to get a pic of this thing setting on top of the chimney today. But here it is on the table saw for now
EDIT: They were made from the splits left over from the flu transition.

Last edited by Gulf; 02-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.