Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mississippi 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
( once again I am out of damn brick)
You can use normal house bricks in the flue, might save you a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Are you going to insulate the damper?
No, My oven will have heatbreaks between the oven and flu, along with an insulated interior door for baking, to help stop the loss between the two.

The style damper I went with would not have been to difficult to insulate. Had I not have already included the heatbreaks in the build, your sliding type insulated damper would have been the way to go.

My damper will be probably be used for smoking meat along with an exterior arch door. Probably not as critical to have an insulated dampfer in my case.

Last edited by Gulf; 01-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You can use normal house bricks in the flue, might save you a few bucks.
That is a good idea,
I am used to the practice of carrying the flu liners completely above the roof line (fireplace/house). Since there should be no combustibles in this build, no codes, and probably enough cooling from the intake of the entry air to allow common brick from the damper up $

Thank's

Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got the damper today. It was built for me by a good friend on the promise of beer and pizza It was fabbed from 1/8” stainless steel plate and 3/8” stainless bolts.

I laid it out on a flat surface to do some final fitting. It is much easier doing this close to the saws and not having to jump up and down from the scaffold.

I was able to do the adjustment for the damper in a full closed position. I have yet to do the adjstments for it to fully open. I had only about an hour and 1/2 of daylight when I got home from work. Maybe before the weekend I will be able to fab a flat surface with an opening to allow a full throw of the damper. The time it would take to build one would still be faster than working from the scaffold.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Private message to a "yankee lurker": When I get finished with this thing and if you want to build one of your own, my mixer, wet saw and anything else that you can use is available for loan. I probably will have had my "brick fix" and will not want to look at any of them for a long while The kids can cart them back and forth

PS, Research "Cob Oven" before you make up your mind. They are looking more and more appealing every dollar, I meant day

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Are you going to have stainless steel pipe around those bolts in the damper? Just thinking about the steel against brick and how it will eat a hole in it, given time.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laku View Post
Are you going to have stainless steel pipe around those bolts in the damper? Just thinking about the steel against brick and how it will eat a hole in it, given time.
They will be inset in SS tubing for bushings. I did'nt have a scrap piece to make them from at the time of the pic. I think you are right. If the bolts were in contact with the brick, I am sure they would eventually saw a larger opening in the brick. Not only would that be a place for flu gases to escape, but the damper could shift from true center and foul opening and closing properly.

I intend to use a larger diameter of pipe to act as bushings between the outer walls of the brick and the threaded portions of the bolts. These will also act as a "stuffing box for insulation. I hope to coil some rope insulation around the bolts, seal the ends with washers and then lock the whole thing in place with two nuts on each side.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got to work a few minutes on the damper during the week and a little while this afternoon. I came up with something that I am sure will raise some eyebrows with the traditionalists. This damper type is a little out of the norm any way and I am exploring new territory (at least for me). I figured that the damper would be difficult to build and assemble true and square, up on the build. I had done some research for another thread (I can’t seem to find it the moment) about tiles. It was about using alternatives for pizza stones (I think).

Anyway, porcelain tile seemed to be the hottest fired, hardest, “bestest” tile available. I chose to make a damper sandwich (between two layers of porcelain) and build the damper near the saws and on a flat stable surface (in this case my table saw). This would allow me to fab the damper on the ground and then place it as one unit on the build. I could not find unglazed porcelain so I bought a couple of tiles from HD (they sell them individually). I cut the tiles outside and inside dimensions on my cheep tile saw. I used the wet saw to remove the glaze from the tiles.

It was easier than I thought. I then assembled the damper in the shed and later placed it up on the build.
Laku, this a pic of the bushings, they are floated above the oversized holes in the firebrick by setting the damper in a fully closed position.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I then assembled the damper in the shed and later placed it up on the build.

I will admit that I had originally decided to have the the pins face front to back (one to be be adjustable from the front above the upper mantle piece. After placeing the damper sandwich I discovered that I had placed it side to side. At east this will allow me to have an alternitive point of access should one of them fail.

It did however, screw up my joints! Maybe the porcelain tiles will make up for the bond.

I intend to go another 24” above the damper with firebrick laid on its side. I will stop there, finish the build, and fire this puppy until I am sure that there are no repercussions from the materials used before extending the chimney.
I will keep you informed (for better or worse).

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
What is the thinking behind making a ceramic sandwich, and how are you going to glue it?
Done did it Al, for better or worse. I used "Firerock" .